Station building after renovation
|Owned by||Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB)|
|Operated by||Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB)|
Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof (German for Klagenfurt Main station; occasionally translated as Klagenfurt Central Station) is the main railway station in Klagenfurt, capital of the Austrian state of Carinthia. It is an important railway junction in southern Austria.
The station opened on 1 June 1863, when Klagenfurt received connection to the Southern Railway, one of the main train routes within the Austrian Empire, via the Carinthian branch line to Marburg, Styria. One year later, the line was extended to Villach Hauptbahnhof, which quickly superseded Klagenfurt as major Carinthian transportation hub with rail connections to the Brenner Railway at Franzensfeste and the Pontebbana line at Tarvis. In 1906, Klagenfurt received access to the Rosental Railway running from Sankt Veit an der Glan via the Karawanks Tunnel to Assling (Jesenice) in Carniola (present-day Slovenia).
The railway premises located in the present-day district of Sankt Ruprecht south of the city centre were not incorporated into Klagenfurt until 1938. Severely damaged by strategic bombing during World War II the station had to be demolished and completely rebuilt. The reception hall was adorned with a large fresco, created by the local artist Giselbert Hoke (1927–2015) in the style of Pablo Picasso and completed in 1956. The whole building was extensively renovated from 2001 to 2005.
Operated by the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB), Klagenfurt station connects to the Drautal (Drava Valley) and Rosental Railway lines. The Koralm Railway, a direct high-speed connection to the Styrian capital Graz via the 32.9 km (20.4 mi) long Koralm Tunnel is currently under construction. Part of the Pan-European Baltic-Adriatic Corridor, it is scheduled to be completed in 2023.
The station is currently served by the following train connections:
- Railjet services Lienz - Villach - Klagenfurt - Vienna
- InterCity services Klagenfurt - Salzburg - Linz - Vienna
- EuroCity services Dortmund/Frankfurt - Munich - Salzburg - Villach - Klagenfurt
- EuroCity services Klagenfurt - Villach - Tarvisio - Udine - Venice
- EuroNight services Rome/Livorno - Florence - Bologna - Venice - Villach - Klagenfurt - Vienna
|Preceding station||ÖBB||Following station|
toward Wien Hbf
toward Roma Termini
toward Wien Hbf
- Bulletin of the International Union of Railways, Volume 31, p. 102. (1960).
- ÖBB travel portal: Stations with Luggage lockers "Upper Austria: Linz Hauptbahnhof, Wels Hauptbahnhof, .. Salzburg Hauptbahnhof, ..Graz Hauptbahnhof, Leoben Hauptbahnhof, ...Carinthia / East Tyrol: Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof, Villach Hauptbahnhof, Tyrol: Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof, .. "
Media related to Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof at Wikimedia Commons