Kleber Mendonça Filho
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Kleber Mendonça Filho|
|Born||1968 (age 48–49)
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer, critic|
Kleber Mendonça Filho (born 1968) is a Brazilian film director, screenwriter, producer, and critic.
Life and career
With a degree in Journalism from the Federal University of Pernambuco, Kleber Mendonça Filho began his career as a film critic and journalist. He wrote for newspapers such as Jornal do Commercio and Folha de S. Paulo, for magazines such as Continente and Cinética, and for his own site, CinemaScópio.
As a director, he experimented with fiction, documentary, and video clips in the 1990s. He migrated from video to digital and 35 mm film in the 2000s. Over the course of that decade, he made several short films, including A Menina do Algodão (co-directed by Daniel Bandeira, 2002), Vinil Verde (2004), Eletrodoméstica (2005), Noite de Sexta Manhã de Sábado (2006), and Recife Frio (2009), as well as a feature-length documentary, Crítico (2008).
O Som ao Redor (Neighbouring Sounds, 2013) was Mendonça's first feature-length drama, winning numerous awards. Film critic AO Scott of The New York Times included it in his list of the 10 best films of 2012. Caetano Veloso, in his column in the newspaper O Globo, classified it as "one of the best movies made recently in the world ". The critic Lucas Salgado of AdoroCinema website, gave the film a score of 5 out of 5, writing, "The film talks in a subtle way and uses sound so rarely seen in world cinema." Lucas reported that the movie is "beautiful, fun, scary and captivating," and also said "it's not a movie that needs to shout to be heard, does not need big dramatic scenes to reach its goal or even to tell a story."
Mendonça's films have received more than 120 awards in Brazil and abroad, with selections in festivals such as New York, Copenhagen and Cannes (Quinzaine des réalisateurs). Film festivals in Rotterdam, Toulouse, and Santa Maria da Feira have presented retrospectives of his films. He has served as programmer of cinema for the Joaquim Nabuco Foundation.
- 2016 - Aquarius
- TBA - Bacurau (announced)
- 2013 - O Som ao Redor (Neighboring Sounds)
- 2009 - Recife Frio
- 2008 - Crítico
- 2006 - Noite de Sexta, Manhã de Sábado
- 2005 - Eletrodoméstica
- 2004 - Vinil Verde
- 2002 - A Menina do Algodão
- 1997 - Enjaulado
- "Kleber Mendonça Filho". Filme B (in Portuguese). Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Mendonça Filho, Kleber. "Revista Continente". Revista Continente. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Mendonça Filho, Kleber. "Cinetica". Revista Cinetica. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Scott, AO (14 December 2012). "25 Favorites From a Year When 10 Aren’t Enough". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Veloso, Caetano (27 January 2013). "Belo é o Recife". O Globo. Retrieved 23 July 2014.
- Salgado, Lucas. "A Força do Silêncio". Adoro Cinema (in Portuguese). Retrieved 23 July 2014.