|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Klein is an unincorporated community in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Houston within north Harris County, Texas, United States, bordering on Houston to the south and Tomball to the north. It includes the entire area of Klein ISD. Residents of the zip codes 77379, 77389 and 77391 can use Klein as their postal city. It is named after Adam Klein, a German immigrant whose best-known great-great-grandson is singer Lyle Lovett. Other famous sons and daughters of the Klein community include actor Lee Pace, actor Matthew Bomer, actress Lynn Collins, actress Sherry Stringfield, singer/songwriter Derek Webb, songwriter Aaron Tate, singer/songwriter Chase Hamblin, actor Ben Rappaport, Major League Baseball players David Murphy and Josh Barfield, NFL kicker Randy Bullock and Olympic gold medalists Laura Wilkinson and Chad Hedrick.
Klein is served by David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport, one of just a few privately owned airports in the U.S. to have a Federal Aviation Administration control tower, and home to Civil Air Patrol's Delta Composite Squadron.
Government and infrastructure
The Klein Volunteer Fire Department, headquartered at 16810 Sqyures and operate with seven fire stations, serves areas considered to be Klein. KVFD stations in areas with Klein postal addresses. Klein FD is funded by Harris County ESD 16.
Klein FD is operated under a Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, 2 District Chiefs and 3 Safety Officers.
Klein FD station locations.
Station 31 at 18337 Stuebner-Airline Road. Engine 31, Tower 31, Tanker 31. Reserve Engine 39
Station 32 is at Gladebrook and West FM 1960. Engine 32, Ladder 32, Utility 32
Station 33 at 9755 Landry Boulevard Engine 33, Rescue 33, Tanker 33
Station 34 at 16810 Squyres Road. Engine 34, Rescue 34, Squad 34, Reserve Engine 38
Station 35 at Boudreaux near Miramar Lake Blvd. Engine 35, Rehab 35, Booster 35
Station 36 at N. Eldridge Parkway at North Point Blvd. Engine 36, Ladder 36, Booster 36
County, state, and federal representation
Klein is within Harris County Precinct 4. As of 2015, R. Jack Cagle is the Precinct 4 County Commissioner.
Ted Poe is the U.S. Representative for the 2nd Congressional District serving Klein, Texas. State Representative Debbie Riddle represents the 150th legislative district. The United States Postal Service operates the Klein Post Office at 7717 Louetta Road.
The Klein community is primarily served by the Klein Independent School District, established by the Texas Legislature in 1977. The Klein ISD area joined the North Harris Montgomery Community College District (now Lone Star College) in 1998.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
According to the 2000 Census, 45,986 people live in the zip code (77379) that encompasses Klein. The racial makeup of the town was 61.3 percent White, 29.4 percent Black, 0.6 percent Native American, 4.8 percent Asian, 0.1 percent Pacific Islander, 3.8 percent from other races. Persons of Hispanic origin, regardless of race, accounted for 8.9 percent of the population. About 5.7% of families live below the poverty line.
Parks and recreation
Harris County Precinct 4 Commissioner operates the 7-acre (28,000 m2) Klein Park. The park has four lighted athletic ball fields and toilet facilities.
Meyer Park, a 40-acre park, which stradles Cypresswood Road has 38 multiple-sized soccer fields for different age groups. The park also has 4 baseball fields, a playground, a dog park, toilet facilities, and pavilions.
- "Klein ISD: Call areas within boundary Klein | Community Impact Newspaper". Community Impact Newspaper. 2016-02-10. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- "Contact Us." Klein Volunteer Fire Department. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Stations." Klein Volunteer Fire Department. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Station 33." Klein Volunteer Fire Department. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Parks Map." Harris County Precinct 4. Retrieved on November 22, 2008.
- District I Map. Harris County Sheriff's Office. Retrieved on November 23, 2008.
- "District I Patrol." Harris County Sheriff's Office. Retrieved on November 23, 2008.
- "Post Office Location - KLEIN." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on November 27, 2008.
- "Klein." Polly M. Duke, "KLEIN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online, accessed March 14, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
- "History." North Harris Montgomery Community College District. December 22, 2002. Retrieved on April 5, 2010.
- "Klein Park." Harris County Precinct 4. Retrieved on November 11, 2009.
- Klein, Texas from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Hooks Airport Web Site
- Delta Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol
- Klein Volunteer Fire Department
- Cypress Creek EMS
- Klein Independent School District
- Story about Lyle Lovett's connection to Klein