Kleine Brogel Air Base
|Kleine Brogel Air Base
(Advanced Landing Ground B-76)
|IATA: none – ICAO: EBBL|
|Operator||Belgian Air Component|
|Location||Kleine Brogel, Belgium|
|Elevation AMSL||200 ft / 61 m|
Kleine Brogel Air Base (ICAO: EBBL) is a Belgian Air Component military airfield located in Kleine Brogel, a municipality of Belgium. It is home to the Belgian 10th Tactical Wing, operating F-16 Fighting Falcons, which are capable, among other capabilities, of delivering B61 nuclear bombs.
It has been subject to much political controversy, because of US nuclear weapons allegedly being stored in the facility by the United States Air Force (USAF), but never recognised officially by the Belgian Government. Under the NATO nuclear sharing arrangement, these nuclear bombs would require an actual dual key system, which would imply the simultaneus authorizations of Belgium and the United States, before any action is taken. Should that be the case, Kleine Brogel Air Base would be the only location in Belgium with nuclear weapons. According to the press, Eastern European Member States of NATO have resisted the withdrawal of the shared nuclear bombs from Europe, fearing it would show a weakening of the US commitment to defend Europe against Russia.
None of the five NATO Member States, whose air forces allegedly might share in its premises nuclear bombs with the USAF (these are Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey), have ever provided an official confirmation of its existence. However, the former Italian President Francesco Cossiga declared that the Aeronautica Militare hosted or shared US nuclear bombs, just as other NATO Member States do. In an interview he talked about French weapons. In the same way, on 10 June 2013, former Dutch prime minister Ruud Lubbers confirmed the existence of 22 shared nuclear bombs at Volkel Air Base.
- "Dossier: Kleine Brogel".
- Malcolm Chalmers and Simon Lunn (March 2010), NATO’s Tactical Nuclear Dilemma, Royal United Services Institute, retrieved 2010-03-16.
- Der Spiegel: Foreign Minister Wants US Nukes out of Germany (2009-04-10)
- Borger, Julian (21 April 2013). "Obama accused of nuclear U-turn as guided weapons plan emerges". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "US nuclear bombs 'based in Netherlands' - ex-Dutch PM Lubbers". BBC. 10 June 2013. Retrieved 10 June 2013.
- Airport information for EBBL at Great Circle Mapper.