|Single by Zac Brown Band featuring Jimmy Buffett|
|from the album You Get What You Give|
|Released||May 9, 2011
(See release history)
Bigger Picture Music Group
|Zac Brown Band chronology|
"Knee Deep" is a song recorded by American country music group Zac Brown Band with Jimmy Buffett. It was released in May 2011 as the third single from the Zac Brown Band's second major-label album, 2010's You Get What You Give. It reached number-one on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for one week in August 2011. The song is about laying back and having no worries (some of the lyrics are: "Only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair.")
Background and writing
Co-writer Wyatt Durrette told the website Taste of Country that he has been a longtime fan of Jimmy Buffett and that he wanted to write a beach-themed song. He based the first verse on a breakup. Durrette brought the song to Brown, who helped him complete the second verse and melody. After neither of them could come up with a bridge, they brought the song to Jeffrey Steele, who helped them complete it.
Steve Morse of the Boston Globe called the song "festive" and a "highlight" of the album. Country Weekly reviewer Jessica Phillips said that the song was "happy-go-lucky" but "sounds like a derivation of the band's own hit "Toes"." Eric R. Danton of the Hartford Courant called it "exactly the kind of song you'd expect to hear Jimmy Buffett sing, but with more mandolin." Kevin John Coyne, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a B+ rating, saying that the song "lacks spunk but radiates the same sea-breezy blissfulness" as "Toes".
Charts and certifications
by Chris Young
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
August 13, 2011
"Just a Kiss"
by Lady Antebellum
|May 9, 2011||United States||Country radio|
|July 18, 2011||Adult contemporary|
- Conaway, Alanna. "Zac Brown Band, 'Knee Deep' – Lyrics Uncovered". Taste of Country. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- Morse, Steve (2010-09-20). "Zac Brown Band, 'You Get What You Give' - The Boston Globe". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Phillips, Jessica (2010-09-17). "You Get What You Give : Zac Brown Band - Reviews - Country Weekly Magazine". Country Weekly. Retrieved 2010-09-23.
- Danton, Eric R. (2010-09-21). "You Get What You Give : Zac Brown Band - Reviews - Country Weekly Magazine". The Hartford Courant. Retrieved 2010-10-20.
- Coyne, Kevin John (July 12, 2011). "Summer Single Reviews Round-Up: Luke Bryan, Jake Owen, Jerrod Niemann, Zac Brown Band, Dierks Bentley". Country Universe. Retrieved July 19, 2011.
- "Zac Brown Band – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Zac Brown Band.
- "Zac Brown Band – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Zac Brown Band.
- "Zac Brown Band – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Zac Brown Band.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Canadian single certifications – Zac Brown Band – Knee Deep". Music Canada. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "American single certifications – Zac Brown Band – Knee Deep". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved January 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Paul Grein (June 25, 2014). "Chart Watch: Maroon 5 Beats Coldplay". Chart Watch (Yahoo Music).