Knight of Cups (film)
|Knight of Cups|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Terrence Malick|
|Written by||Terrence Malick|
|Music by||Hanan Townshend|
Knight of Cups is a 2015 American romantic fantasy drama film written and directed by Terrence Malick and produced by Nicolas Gonda and Sarah Green. The film was shot during the summer of 2012 without a completed story. The film spent two years in post-production. The film premiered in the main competition section at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival on February 8, 2015.
The title of the film refers to the tarot card of the same name: a "Knight" is a face card, similar to a Jack, Queen, or King, and "Cups" is a suit roughly corresponding to the Hearts of the French- and English-speaking worlds.
A screenwriter living in Los Angeles tries to make sense of the strange events occurring around him. While he's successful in his career, his life feels empty. Haunted by the death of one brother and the dire circumstances of the other, he finds temporary solace in the Hollywood excess that defines his existence. Women provide a distraction to the daily pain he must endure. And every encounter that comes his way brings him closer to finding his place in the world.
- Christian Bale as Rick
- Cate Blanchett as Nancy
- Natalie Portman as Elizabeth
- Brian Dennehy as Joseph
- Antonio Banderas as Tonio
- Freida Pinto as Helen
- Wes Bentley as Barry
- Isabel Lucas as Isabel
- Teresa Palmer as Karen
- Imogen Poots as Della
- Armin Mueller-Stahl as Fr. Zeitlinger
- Jason Clarke
- Joe Manganiello
- Joel Kinnaman
- Nick Offerman
- Nicky Whelan
- Katia Winter as Kate
- Thomas Lennon as Rick's friend
- Shea Whigham
- Michael Wincott as Herb
- Kevin Corrigan as Gus
- Ryan O'Neal
- Ben Kingsley
The film premiered in the main competition section at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival on February 8,2015. Shortly after, Broad Green Pictures acquired distribution rights to the film. The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on March 4, 2016.
Knight of Cups has received mixed reviews from critics. It holds a 42% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 12 reviews. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 58 out of 100 based on eight critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Terrence Malick's 'Knight of Cups' Gets a Long Synopsis and a Runtime". February 2, 2015. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- "Knight of Cups (2014) - Cast and Crew". allmovie.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- McClintock, Pamela (May 15, 2013). "Cannes First Look: Terrence Malick's 'Knight of Cups' With Natalie Portman". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 23, 2013.
- McNary, Dave. "Christian Bale’s ‘Knight of Cups’ Gets March Release Date". Variety. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Han, Angie (February 2, 2015). "Terrence Malick’s ‘Knight of Cups’ Sounds Very, Very Terrence Malick-y". Slash Film.
- "Exclusive: Knight of Cups Trailer". FilmNation Entertainment. December 15, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- Harris, Amy (March 5, 2013). "Adelaide-born Teresa Palmer set to return home to shoot low-budget independent film The Fun In Forever". The Australian. News Corp Australia. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Berlinale 2015: Malick, Dresen, Greenaway and German in Competition". www.berlinale.de. December 15, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "Terrence Malick’s ‘Knight of Cups’ Won’t Get U.S. Release Until 2016; ‘Weightless’ to Be Retitled". The Film Stage. June 20, 2015. Retrieved July 23, 2015.
- "Knight of Cups on Rotten Tomatoes". RottenTomatoes.com. Retrieved February 20, 2015.
- "Knight of Cups reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 27, 2015.