|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The magazine was founded by Amy R. Singer and has been edited by her since its inception. Knitty presents free original knitting patterns, essays, and how-to articles written by professional designers and non-professional contributors. It hosts chat forums and promotes the online knitting community, and several patterns, such as Clapotis and Fetching, have experienced great popularity among knitters. It has also been influential in launching the careers of knitwear designers including Ysolda Teague, Stefanie Japel, Erica Jackofsky, Stephen West, Jillian Moreno, Cookie A, Amy Swenson, Jordana Paige, Cheryl Niamath and many others. The often-cited "Judy's Magic Cast On" and "Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind off" were first published in Knitty.
Singer has published four knitting-related books.
- "Clapotis pattern by Kate Gilbert". Ravelry. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "Fetching pattern by Cheryl Niamath". Ravelry. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "westknits — Stephen West". Westknits. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "Jillian Moreno". Jillian Moreno. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "editorial spring 06". Knitty. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Staiman, Jen. "Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off, Fall 2009". Knitty. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Singer, Amy R. and Jillian Moreno More Big Girl Knits: 25 Designs Full of Color and Texture for Curvy Women (2008). ISBN 978-0-307-35374-0
Singer, Amy R., No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights (2007). ISBN 978-1-59668-012-8
Singer, Amy R., and Jillian Moreno, Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves (2006). ISBN 978-0-307-33660-6
Singer, Amy R. Knit Wit: 30 Easy and Hip Projects (2004). ISBN 978-0-06-074070-2
- Knitty official site