Knock on Wood (song)
|"Knock On Wood"|
|Single by Eddie Floyd|
|from the album Knock On Wood|
|B-side||"Got to Make a Comeback"|
|Label||Stax Records S-194|
|Writer(s)||Eddie Floyd, Steve Cropper|
|Eddie Floyd singles chronology|
|"Knock on Wood"|
|Single by David Bowie|
|from the album David Live|
|David Bowie singles chronology|
|"Knock on Wood"|
|Single by Amii Stewart|
|from the album Knock on Wood|
|B-side||"When You Are Beautiful"|
|Amii Stewart singles chronology|
"Knock on Wood" is a 1966 hit song written by Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper and originally performed by Floyd. His recording peaked at number 28 on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent one week at number 1 on the Soul Singles chart. The song was written in the Lorraine Motel Memphis, Tennessee now The National Civil Rights Museum. Steve Cropper has stated in interviews that there was a lightning storm the night that he and Eddie wrote the song, hence the lyrics 'It's like thunder and lightning, The way you love me is frightening'.
The song has been frequently covered, first by Otis Redding and Carla Thomas in 1967. The American Breed covered it on their 1967 debut album, The American Breed. There have also been charting singles by David Bowie (1974), Amii Stewart (1979), Razzy Bailey (1984), Eric Clapton (1985), Michael Bolton (1992) and Safri Duo featuring Clark Anderson (2004). The German techno band Scooter made a half-cover of the song, entitled "The Avenger's Back", on their 2004 album Mind the Gap. The song is also featured in the movie "Satisfaction", as performed by Justine Bateman and the Mystery.
|Irish Singles Chart||4|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||10|
- David Bowie – vocal
- Earl Slick – guitar
- Herbie Flowers – bass
- Michael Kamen – keyboards
- Tony Newman – drums
- David Sanborn, Richard Grando – saxophone
- Pablo Rosario, Gui Andrisano, Warren Peace – backing vocals
- Tony Visconti – producer
Amii Stewart cover
The most successful version of "Knock on Wood" was recorded by Amii Stewart, who made a disco version of the song in 1979. It was Stewart's debut single and reached number one in the U.S. charts in April 1979; it also made it to the soul singles and disco charts, becoming the best-known version of the song. This recording was co-produced by Simon May. It reached the Top 10 twice in the UK, first in 1979 (peaking at number 6) and again in a remixed version in 1985 (peaking at number 7).
- The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band released a version of the song on their 1968 album, Together.
- Larry Carlton covered this song for his album, Discovery in 1986.
- In 1984, a version by Razzy Bailey made number 29 on Hot Country Songs. It was Bailey's last top-40 country hit.
- Eric Clapton covered this song in his album Behind the Sun in 1985.
- In August 2007, Australian soul singer Guy Sebastian recorded a tribute version of "Knock on Wood" at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Tennessee for his album of soul classics The Memphis Album. Steve Cropper played on and produced this track with many of the original members of the Stax House Band including Donald "Duck" Dunn, Lester Snell, Steve Potts.
- Archie Bell & The Drells added the song to their 1968 studio album Tighten Up.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 246.
- Stax singles
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942–2004. Record Research. p. 208.
- "Knock on wood and Knock on Wood/Light my Fire (Remix) in Irish Chart". IRMA. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2013. Only results when searching "Knock on wood"
- "Norwegiancharts.com – David Bowie – Knock On Wood". VG-lista.
- "1974 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 12th October 1974". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Australian-charts.com – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Knock on wood in Canadian Adult Contemporary Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Knock on wood in Canadian Disco Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "Knock on wood in Canadian Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Knock on wood and Knock on wood '99 in French Chart" (in French). Dominic DURAND / InfoDisc. 5 July 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-10-26. Retrieved 5 July 2013. You have to use the index at the top of the page and search "Ammi Stewart"
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "The best-selling singles of 1979 in Italy". HitParadeItalia (it). Retrieved 1 June 2013.
11. Knock on wood - Amii Stewart [#2]
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Amii Stewart search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood". Top 40 Singles.
- John Samson. "Knock on wood in South African Chart". Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Amii Stewart – Knock On Wood". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Amii Stewart". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Knock on Wood awards on Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Knock on Wood/Light my Fire (Remix) in Belgian Chart". Ultratop and Hung Medien. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Top Singles – Volume 32, No. 13, December 22, 1979". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1979 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1979-12-31. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Chart Archive – 1970s Singles". everyHit.com. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1979/Top 100 Songs of 1979". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, Together Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- Discovery: Overview: allmusic.com