Knowledge Channel (Philippines)
|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2012)|
Knowledge Channel Logo
|Launched||November 6, 1999|
|Owned by||ABS-CBN Corporation
(Knowledge Channel Foundation, Inc.)
|Slogan||Learners learn best with K Channel|
|Headquarters||Pasig City, Philippines|
|Sister channel(s)||Cine Mo!
|Digital||Channel 43 (647.143MHz; LCN 11.22)
(Digital test broadcast) 
|ABS-CBN TVplus||Channel 5|
|SkyCable||Channel 5 (Digital)|
|Destiny Cable||Channel 5 (Digital)|
|Parasat Cable TV||Channel 6|
Knowledge Channel is a Filipino cable television network and the country's first and only educational cable channel. It is made available to the public education system free of charge through philanthropic support.
Established by SkyCable, ABS-CBN, and the Lopez Group of Companies in 1999, Knowledge Channel is being operated by the Knowledge Channel Foundation, Inc.(KCFI). KCFI is a non-stock, non-profit foundation geared towards educating and empowering poor and marginalized children through media, that they realize their full potential to best serve themselves, their communities and help build a better world.
KCFI mission is to make Knowledge Channel accessible to all public schools nationwide.
Rina Lopez Bautista, part of a family whose holdings includes media, energy, and telecommunications, established a non-profit organisation, the Knowledge Channel Foundation, Inc. (KCFI), in 1999.
The Knowledge Channel began broadcasting on November 6, 1999, providing 18 hours of educational programs on cable television that supplemented the curriculum of the Philippine Department of Education (DepEd). KCFI entered into a 10-year memorandum of agreement (MoA) with DepEd, with DepEd proclaiming the channel as required viewing in all public schools in 2000 and has since then renewed its partnership with another 10 year MoA signed in November 2009.
Today, the Knowledge Channel is available to over 3 million public school students in over 2,000 public elementary and high schools in 54 provinces in all regions of the country, and has an expanded household viewership in 58 provinces. However, out of almost 42,000 public schools throughout the country, only 4.7% so far has access to Knowledge Channel.
List of programs broadcast by Knowledge Channel
- ABS-CBN Programs:
- Constel Programs:
- Chemistry in Action
- English High School
- Physics in Everyday Life
- Science Made Easy
- Eskwela ng Bayan:
- Alikabok (Intermediate Elementary)
- Karen's World (Primary Elementary)
- Solved (Intermediate Elementary)
- Why? (Intermediate Elementary)
- ETV Shows:
- Art Jam
- Basta Sports
- Busog Lusog
- Hiraya Manawari
- I Got It!
- Kasaysayan TV (Grade 7 High School)
- Math Tinik
- Pamana (Primary Elementary)
- Salam Elementary (Intermediate Elementary)
- Salam High School (Third Year High School)
- Silip: Sining at Lipunan
- Why Not!
- Knowledge Channel Programs:
- Agham Aralin (Grade 7 & 2nd Year High School)
- Art Republik
- Disaster Preparedness (All Levels)
- Estudyantipid 1 (Grade 5-Fourth Year High School)
- Estudyantipid 2 (Fourth Year High School)
- Estudyan3pid (Third & Fourth Year High School)
- Excerpts From The Experts (Teacher's Program)
- Faculty Room (Teacher's Program)
- Gab & Go (Grade 7 High School)
- Ibang Klase (All Levels)
- In Service Training On Air (Teacher's Program)
- Kada Tropa (All Levels)
- K-High Math 1 (Grade 7 High School First Semestry)
- K-High Math 2 (Grade 7 High School Second Semestry)
- K-High Science (Grade 7 High School)
- K-Hub (Grade 7 High School)
- K-Now (All Levels)
- Kuwentong Kutsero
- Mi Isla (Grade 7 & 2nd Year High School)
- Negosyo Ko, Asenso Ko (All Levels)
- Noli Me Tangere
- ParenTin TV
- Power To Empower (Teacher's Program)
- Puno ng Buhay (Grade 7 & 2nd Year High School)
- Theater Hour
- Tipong Pinoy
- Travel Around the World-Asia
- Travel Around the World-Europe
- Web Works (All Levels)
- Wow! (Elementary High School)
- Exclusive: The ABS-CBN Digital TV retrieved October 18, 2013
- Lopez Link: "Knowledge Channel and DepEd renew partnership", December 1, 2009.
- Lopez Link: "Knowledge Channel leads change through media, gains support", March 1, 2010.
- Lopez Link: "Dulany Rockefeller joins Knowledge Channel in ‘Lead the Change’", January 27, 2010.
- Knowledge Channel Website (English)
- Knowledge Channel Secondary Website
- Knowledge Channel corporate info
- Lopez Group Foundation, Inc.
- Lopez Link, the official newsletter of the Lopez Group