List of knowledge deities
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Knowledge deity)
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 1 Armenian mythology
- 2 Celtic mythology
- 3 Chinese mythology
- 4 Egyptian mythology
- 5 Etruscan mythology
- 6 Greek mythology
- 7 Hindu mythology
- 8 Hittite mythology
- 9 Japanese mythology
- 10 Mesopotamian mythology
- 11 Muisca mythology
- 12 Norse mythology
- 13 Persian mythology
- 14 Polynesian mythology
- 15 Roman mythology
- 16 Slavic mythology
- 17 Turco-Mongol mythology
- 18 References
- Tir, the god of written language, schooling, rhetoric, wisdom, and the arts.
- Ogma, a figure from Irish and Scottish mythology, said to have invented the Ogham alphabet
- Lugh, a figure from Irish mythology, said to be skilled in all arts.
- Wenchang Wang, the god of literature and scholarship.
- Manjushri, the bodhisttava of wisdom
- Kong Zi, the sage of education and culture
- Lao Zi, the god of wisdom
- Lü Dongbin, the patron of scholars
- Bao Zheng, the star of scholars
- Guan Yu, the god of military scholars
- Neith, goddess sometimes associated with wisdom.
- Thoth, originally a moon deity, later became god of wisdom and scribe of the gods.
- Sia, the deification of wisdom.
- Seshat, goddess of wisdom, knowledge and writing. Scribe of the gods. Credited with the invention of writing and the alphabet. Later demoted in pantheon of Egyptian deities to consort of Thoth.
- Isis, goddess of wisdom, magic, health and marriage.
- Serapis, god of knowledge and education.
- Menrva, goddess of wisdom.
- Apollo, Olympian god of light, music, poetry, knowledge, and the sun.
- Athena, Olympian goddess of wisdom, architecture, art, war strategy, and civilization
- Coeus, Titan of intellect
- Hephaestus, Olympian god of inventing and fire
- Metis, Oceanid of wisdom and wise counsel
- Muses, personifications of knowledge, wisdom and the arts
- Prometheus, Titan of forethought
- Phoebe, Titan of prophecy
- Hecate, Goddess of sorcery, magic, witchcraft, necromancy, ghosts, prophecy, fire, light, crossroads, darkness, night, the moon, wilderness, and dogs
- Indra, king of the heaven.
- Saraswati, goddess of knowledge and all literary arts including music, literature and speech.
- Ganesha, god of intellect and wisdom.
- Laxmi, goddess of wealth.
- Fukurokuju, god of wisdom and longevity.
- Kuebiko, scarecrow god of wisdom and agriculture.
- Omoikane, Shinto god of wisdom and intelligence.
- Tenjin, god of scholarship.
- Benzaiten, a Japanese form of Saraswati, goddess of everything that flows: water, words, speech, eloquence, music and by extension, knowledge
- Al-Kutbay, Nabataean god of knowledge, commerce, writing, and prophecy.
- Enki, god of intelligence, crafts, mischief, water and creation.
- Nabu, Babylonian god of wisdom and writing.
- Nidaba, Sumerian goddess of writing, learning, and the harvest.
- Bochica, messenger god of knowledge
- Tīwaz/Týr, "Týr, known for his great wisdom and courage".
- Odin, the ruler of Asgard, who sacrificed his eye and was hung for nine days from the world tree Yggdrasil in order to gain the wisdom of the ages.
- Mímir, a god renowned for his knowledge and wisdom; Odin is advised by his severed head.
- Sága, goddess of wisdom.
- Vör, goddess associated with wisdom.
- Snotra, goddess associated with wisdom.
- Gefjon, goddess of knowledge, chastity and agriculture.
- Kvasir, god of wisdom and poetry.
- Bragi, god of knowledge, poetry, and music.
- Egeria, water nymph who gives wisdom and prophecy in return for libations of water or milk at her sacred grove.
- Fabulinus, the god who teaches children to speak.
- Minerva, goddess of wisdom and the Roman equivalent of Athena.
- Apollo, Greco-Roman god of light, knowledge, intellect, and the sun.
- Providentia, goddess of forethought.
- Gamayun - symbol of knowledge and wisdom.
- Mergen - Turkic deity of abundance and wisdom. Mergen symbolizes intelligence and thought.