Knowsley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Knowsley in Merseyside
Location of Merseyside within England
|Electorate||79,334 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Huyton, Kirkby, Knowsley, Roby|
|Member of Parliament||George Howarth (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Knowsley South,|
Knowsley North and Sefton East
Created for the 2010 general election (during the Boundary Commission for England's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies), the area returned the second highest share of the vote seen by a candidate for the Labour Party, of 70.9%, behind the 72.0% achieved in Liverpool Walton. The same ranking of results nationally occurred in 2015. It ranked foremost by party majority in 2017, where it was followed directly by East Ham and 28 other seats won by Labour candidates, after which followed North East Hampshire.
The new constituency covers a large part of the metropolitan borough, main settlements being Huyton and Kirkby. It replaced most of the previous Knowsley South constituency, as well as the parts of Knowsley North and Sefton East in the Knowsley borough. Distant parts from the centre of the metropolitan borough are covered by the new St Helens South and Whiston and Garston and Halewood constituencies.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Cherryfield Kirkby Central; Longview; Northwood; Page Moss; Park; Prescot West; Roby; St Bartholomews; St Gabriels; St Michaels; Shevington; Stockbridge; Swanside; Whitefield in the Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley
Before its first general election in 2010, it was believed to present the safest seat in the country, with an estimated Labour majority of 24,333 votes. In 2015, it became the safest seat in the country in absolute votes (not percentage of majority), beating East Ham by 403 votes. Neighbouring Liverpool Walton has the highest percentage majority.
In 2017, it became the seat with the highest majority for any British Member of Parliament since the advent of universal suffrage, with Howarth winning a majority of 42,214 votes for Labour, surpassing the 36,230-vote majority held by then-Conservative Prime Minister John Major in his Huntingdon constituency in 1992.
The constituency mainly consists of low-income social housing and former social housing built to decant the residents displaced by post-war slum clearance in Liverpool. It includes Huyton to the south (once represented by Prime Minister Harold Wilson) and Kirkby to the north. Between them is the green space of Knowsley Hall and Park, the ancestral home of the Earls of Derby and the site of Knowsley Safari Park. In 2010, The Guardian summarised the area as "One of the most deprived areas in the country. The new parliamentary constituency folds in Knowsley North and Knowsley South."
The constitutency voted to leave the European Union in 2016.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Brexit Party||Tim McCullough||3,348||6.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Joe Slupsky||1,117||2.0||-0.1|
This was the largest Labour majority at the 2019 general election.
|Liberal Democrats||Carl Cashman||1,189||2.1||0.8|
|Liberal Democrats||Carl Cashman||1,490||2.9||-10.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Flo Clucas||5,964||13.4||-0.4|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Knowsley Boundary Commission for England". Archived from the original on 2009-11-02. Retrieved 2009-12-04.
- The respective percentages became 68.3% and 72.3% List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- Baker, Carl; Hawkins, Oliver; Audickas, Lukas; Bate, Alex; Cracknell, Richard; Apostolova, Vyara; Dempsey, Noel; McInnes, Roderick; Rutherford, Tom; Uberoi, Elise (2019-01-29). "General Election 2017: full results and analysis". parliament.uk. Cite journal requires
- "Altered Constituencies Data". The Guardian. 22 January 2010.
- "Knowsley". guardian.co.uk.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 2)
- "Statement of persons nominated 2019" (PDF).
- "General Election 2017: who is standing for election". Liverpool Echo. 11 May 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Knowsley". BBC News. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.