Knox Farm State Park
|Knox Farm State Park|
Many of Knox Farm State Park's farm buildings are still in use.
Location of Knox Farm State Park within New York State
|Location||437 Buffalo Road
East Aurora, New York
|Nearest city||East Aurora, New York|
|Area||633 acres (2.56 km2)|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||123,908 (in 2010)|
|Website||Knox Farm State Park|
The park contains a variety of habitats, including grasslands, woodlands, ponds and wetlands. The Knox Farm, located within the park, is still home to a number of farm animals, including horses, sheep, goats, llamas and chickens.
Visitors can observe wildlife, hike and cross-country ski through a number of nature trails; bicycles, however, are only permitted in certain areas. Nature walks and programs are offered through the National Audubon Society and by New York State Park naturalists. The Knox Farm Visitor Center contains exhibits of historical and natural interest.
Nature trails can also be toured on horseback by permit only. Horse owners must also have a current Coggins certificate. The park also offers use of stable facilities and riding lessons. There are also several equestrian events open to the public, such as horse shows, summer polo matches and an annual carriage drive.
Friends of Knox Farm State Park
The Friends of Knox Farm State Park is a not-for-profit group dedicated to maintaining and promoting the park and its resources. The group holds several events for that purpose. In February 2014, the Friends of Knox Farm Board of Directors voted to replace Seymour Knox IV, who had served as president of the group since its founding in 2006. This resulted in the resignation of eight members of the board including Knox and other members of the Knox family.
- "Knox Farm State Park". NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- "Section O: Environmental Conservation and Recreation, Table O-9". 2014 New York State Statistical Yearbook (PDF). The Nelson A. Rockefeller Institute of Government. 2014. p. 673. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- LaChiusa, Chuck. "Seymour H. Knox Family of Buffalo, NY". Buffalo Architecture and History. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- "Friends of Knox Farm State Park". Friends of Knox Farm State Park. Retrieved August 16, 2016.
- Kearns, Michelle (October 17, 2014). "Knox family members and friends leave state park board". The Buffalo News. Retrieved October 18, 2014.