Knox Township, Columbiana County, Ohio
|Knox Township, Columbiana County, Ohio|
The former Middle Sandy Presbyterian Church
Location of Knox Township in Columbiana County
|• Total||35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,122 ft (342 m)|
|• Density||125/sq mi (48.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085896|
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Smith Township, Mahoning County - north
- Goshen Township, Mahoning County - northeast corner
- Butler Township - east
- Hanover Township - southeast corner
- West Township - south
- Paris Township, Stark County - southwest corner
- Washington Township, Stark County - west
- Alliance - northwest
Two unincorporated communities are located in Knox Township:
- The unincorporated community of Homeworth, in the southwest
- The unincorporated community of North Georgetown, in the west
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Knox township, Columbiana County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Cranmer, Gibson Lamb (1891). History of the upper Ohio Valley. 2. Madison, Wisconsin: Brant & Fuller. p. 22.
- McCord, William B. (1905). History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 284.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.