Knucklas railway station
|Managed by||Arriva Trains Wales|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1865|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Knucklas from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
This railway station is located on a steep hill above the village. It is a request stop, so intending passengers have to signal to the driver that they wish to board the train, while those wishing to alight from the train must convey their wish to the train staff.
After departing from the station in the westerly direction, trains pass over the 190 yd (173 m) long Knucklas viaduct. This is one of the major structures on the route, its 13 stone arches carrying the line at a maximum height of 75 feet (23 m) across the Heyope valley and Knucklas village. The route then climbs sharply from east to west for the next 4 miles (6.4 km) on a ruling gradient of 1 in 60, en route to the summit of the line just to the south of Llangynllo Tunnel.
All trains serving the station are operated by Arriva Trains Wales.
The station is unstaffed and has no remaining permanent buildings aside from a brick and timber waiting shelter. Other amenities offered include CIS screen, customer help point, public telephone and timetable poster board. Step-free access is available from the car park and entry road from the adjoining residential estate, though the access ramp is quite steep.
- Yonge, John (November 2005) . Jacobs, Gerald, ed. Railway Track Diagrams 3: Western (4th ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 31A. ISBN 0-9549866-1-X.
- "Knucklas Viaduct - History & Statistics"knucklas.org; Retrieved 6 July 2016
- Knucklas station facilities National Rail Enquiries
- GB eNRT May 2017 Edition, Table 129
- Organ, John (2008). Mitchell, Vic, ed. Craven Arms to Llandeilo. West Sussex: Middleton Press. figs. 32-34. ISBN 9781906008352. OCLC 648080889.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Llangynllo||Arriva Trains Wales
Heart of Wales Line