14 July 2009
20 December 1953 |
|Political party|| German:
Social Democratic Party
Party of European Socialists
Knut Fleckenstein (born 20 December 1953 in Bad Nauheim) is a German politician who serves as an MEP for the Social Democratic Party of Germany. He was elected to the European Parliament in 2009, prior to which he had managed the Workers' Samaritan Federation in Hamburg.
Member of the European Parliament, 2009–present
Between 2009 and 2014, Fleckenstein served on the Committee on Transport and Tourism. Since 2014, he has been a member of the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET). In addition, he has been serving on the delegation to the EU-Russia Parliamentary Cooperation Committee since 2009. He is the Parliament's rapporteur on market access to port services and financial transparency.
In addition to his committee assignments, Fleckenstein is a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals
Within the parliamentary group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Fleckenstein currently serves as vice-president responsible for foreign policy, human rights, trade and development.
- Ernst Deutsch Theater, Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- Europa-Kolleg Hamburg, Member of the Board of Trustees
- BERTINI Award, Chairman of the Board of Directors (since 2007)
- Samaritan International, President
In his capacity as vice-chair of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats, Fleckenstein called in August 2015 for a “new initiative for political dialogue in Europe” after the annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation and the removal “from the sanction lists of both Russia and the European Union all members of national Parliaments as well as the European Parliament.” His call also targeted the EU sanctions list, which imposed visa bans and asset freezes on 151 people in Russia, including dozens of members of the State Duma, the lower house of the Russian parliament.
- Profile European Parliament
- Port services regulation: Liberalisation overturned The Parliament Magazine, January 25, 2016.
- Members of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare and Conservation of Animals European Parliament.
- Knut Fleckenstein Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats.
- Maïa de La Baume (August 3, 2015),MEPs call for thaw in EU-Russia relations Politico Europe.
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|