|Location||near Biddulph, Staffordshire|
|Primary inflows||Head of Trent and Overflow from Serpentine Reservoir|
|Primary outflows||Caldon Canal, River Trent|
|Managing agency||Canal & River Trust|
|Max. length||630 metres (2,070 ft)|
|Max. width||220 metres (720 ft)|
|Surface area||142,000 square metres (35 acres)|
|Average depth||6.5 metres (21 ft)|
|Max. depth||12.2 metres (40 ft)|
|Water volume||930,000 m3 (750 acre⋅ft)|
|Shore length1||1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi)|
|Surface elevation||175.81 m (576.8 ft) OD|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Knypersley Reservoir is a canal feeder reservoir near Biddulph in Staffordshire. It is located south-east of Biddulph and named after the local Knypersley area. The reservoir was built in 1827 to supply water to the Caldon Canal, along with two others at Stanley Pool and Rudyard Lake.
There are actually two adjacent lakes at the site, the upper one being the Serpentine Pool which feeds the lower Knypersley Pool or reservoir. Designed by Thomas Telford, it was constructed by the waterways engineer James Potter. There were a number of problems both during and after construction with settlement of the dam, and a number of repairs had to be made.
In 2006 substantial improvements were made by British Waterways, and it is currently operated and managed by their successors, the Canal & River Trust, as part of the Caldon Canal group which also includes Stanley Pool and Rudyard Lake.
The fishing rights are owned separately by a consortium of local angling clubs known as the Cheshire and North Staffs Angling Association which was originally made up of 17 fishing clubs when the rights were purchased in 2002, this has subsequently reduced to 15.
The fishery is well known for its stocks of large fish, notably bream, but also includes roach, perch, pike and a few carp that due to their low numbers are not easy to catch. The association manages the fishery on a catch and release basis.
- Stone, Richard (2005). River Trent. Phillimore. p. 48. ISBN 1860773567.
- "Get-a-map online". Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "BBC News Historic reservoir £1.5m revamp". BBC. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "Reservoir watch Canals & Rivers Trust". canalrivertrust.org.uk. Retrieved 7 April 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Cheshire and North Staffs Angling Association-About Us". cheshireandnorthstaffsaa.com. Archived from the original on 29 August 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- "Victoria & Biddulph Angling Society - Waters". vbas.4t.com. Archived from the original on 13 July 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Knypersley Reservoir.|