Kobilje Creek in Selo
|Length||33 km (21 mi)|
|Progression||Ledava→ Mur→ Drava→ Danube→ Black Sea|
Kobilje Creek (Hungarian: Kebele, Slovene: Kobiljski potok or Kobiljanski potok) is a brook in northeastern Slovenia and western Hungary. The brook is 33 kilometres (21 mi) long; 24 km (15 mi) of the course is in Slovenia. Its source is at Kamenek Hill (391 metres or 1,283 feet) and it flows through Kobilje, crosses the Slovenian–Hungarian border, returns to Slovenia, and joins the Ledava from its left side in the town Lendava. It is the longest tributary of the Ledava.
History and name
Kobilje Creek was first mentioned in 1208 as aguam Kobula. In 1236, it was mentioned as Kebela, in 1329 as Kebelie, and in 1338 as Kebele. Its Slovene name is derived from Slavic *kobyla 'mare'. The current Slovene names for the stream are derived from the settlement of Kobilje. However, based on medieval sources, it was originally called *Kobilja (voda) (literally, 'mare stream') and the settlement of Kobilje was named after it. The stream was then later renamed after the settlement.
- Bunc, Stanko. 1939. Ramovš Fran in Kos Milko, Brižinski spomeniki (book review). Casopis za zgodovino in narodopisje 34: 113–128, p. 115.
- Natek, Karel; Natek, Marjeta (1998). Slovenija: Geografska, zgodovinska, pravna, politična, ekonomska in kulturna podoba Slovenije: Priročnik o značilnostih in delovanju države [Slovenia: Geographical, Political, Historical, Legal, and Cultural Image of Slovenia: A Handbook on The Characteristics and Functioning of the Country] (in Slovenian). Mladinska knjiga. p. 46. ISBN 86-11-15348-0.
- Slavič, Matija (1925). "Prekmurje". Glasilo K.S.K. jednote. Kranjsko – slovenska katoliška jednota [Carniolan–Slovene Catholic Society]. 11 (9). ISSN 2350-3564.
- Kladnik, Darinka (1994). Sto slovenskih krajev. Ljubljana: Prešernova družba [Prešeren's Society]. COBISS 43138304.
- Snoj, Marko. 2009. Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan and Založba ZRC, p. 192.
- Media related to Kobilje Creek at Wikimedia Commons
|This article related to a river in Slovenia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a river in Hungary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|