|Province of Turkey|
Location of Kocaeli Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Kocaeli|
|• Total||3,626 km2 (1,400 sq mi)|
|• Density||430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
Kocaeli Province (Turkish: Kocaeli ili, pronounced [kodʒaˈeli]) is a province of Turkey. Its capital is İzmit, which is also sometimes called Kocaeli. The province is the successor of the Ottoman-era Sanjak of Kocaeli. The largest towns in the province are İzmit and Gebze. The traffic code is 41. The province is located at the easternmost end of the Marmara Sea around the Gulf of İzmit. Kocaeli is bordered by the province of Istanbul and the Marmara Sea to the west, the Black Sea to the north, the province of Sakarya to the east, the province of Bursa to the south and the province of Yalova to the southwest. The metropolitan area of Istanbul extends to the Kocaeli-Istanbul provincial border. The size and natural conditions of the Bay of İzmit allow for extensive port facilities, including the Gölcük Naval Base. The province is called the industrial capital of Turkey. Kocaeli has an airport named Cengiz Topel Naval Air Station which is used for military and civilian transport. Kocaeli has two universities: Kocaeli University and Gebze Technical University.
- KOCAELİ: 1,722,795
- Turkish Statistical Institute, MS Excel document – Population of province/district centers and towns/villages and population growth rate by provinces
- "Population of Districts by Year and Dependency Ratio". Kocaeli Metropolitan Municipality. Retrieved 2015-07-29.
- "Central Dissemination System". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
Media related to Kocaeli Province at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website (Turkish)
- Kocaeli municipality's official website (Turkish) / (English)
- Kocaeli Etkinlik (Turkish)
- Kocaeli Gazetesi ve Haberleri (Turkish)
|This geographical article about a location in Kocaeli Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|