|President of the Court of Justice of the European Union|
|Assumed office |
8 October 2015
|Preceded by||Vassilios Skouris|
|Vice President of the Court of Justice of the European Union|
9 October 2012 – 6 October 2015
|Preceded by||Position established|
|Succeeded by||Antonio Tizzano|
|Born||20 December 1954|
|Education||Université de Namur|
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Koen Lenaerts, Baron Lenaerts (Dutch: [kun ˈleːnaːrts]; born 20 December 1954 in Mortsel) is a Belgian jurist and the President of the Court of Justice of the European Union. He is also a Professor of European Law at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and was a member of the Coudenberg group, a Belgian federalist think tank.
Lenaerts obtained a candidate in law (summa cum laude) in 1974 at the Université de Namur. In 1977, he graduated with a licentiate in law at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (summa cum laude). He then went on to earn a Master of Laws (LLM) degree at Harvard Law School in 1978, with a Belgian Fulbright scholarship, and a Master in Public Administration (MPA) from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 1979. In 1982, he obtained a PhD in law at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
Since 1983, Lenaerts has been Professor of European Law at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, since 1990 with the title of buitengewoon hoogleraar. He is director of the Institute of European Law of the university. From 1984 until 1989, he was Professor at the College of Europe in Bruges. From 1984 until 1985, he was Law clerk to Judge René Joliet at the Court of Justice of the European Communities. From 1986 until 1989, he was a Member of the Brussels Bar acting as attorney in the European Court of Justice, on behalf of the Belgian state. He was made an Honorary Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple, London, in 2010.
From 1989 until 6 October 2003 he was Judge of the European Court of First Instance (now known as the General Court), and since 7 October 2003 he has been a Judge at the European Court of Justice, where he became Vice President in 2012. In October 2015 he became President of the Court of Justice of the European Union and on 9 October 2018, he was reelected as its President. His mandate should end on 6 October 2021.
- Academy of European Law (ERA), Ex-Officio Member of the Governing Board
- Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Centre for Governance and Law in Europe at the UCL Faculty of Laws, Member of the Advisory Board
- Columbia Journal of European Law, Member of the Board of Advisors
- European Constitutional Law Review, Member of the Board of Advisors
- Koen Lenaerts (Author), Piet Van Nuffel (Ed.), Constitutional Law of the European Union, Thomson
- "Mortsels professor bij Europees Hof" (in Dutch). Gazet van Antwerpen. 12 October 2006. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- "Prof. dr. Koen Lenaerts". Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. Archived from the original on 2 August 2012. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "New Members Of The Court Of Justice Of The European Communities And Of The Court Of First Instance Of The European Communities". Curia: Court of Justice of the European Union. 7 October 2003. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Governing Board Academy of European Law (ERA).
- Board of Trustees Archived 18 October 2016 at the Wayback Machine Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law.
- Advisory Board UCL Faculty of Laws.
- Board of Advisors Columbia Journal of European Law.
- Board of Advisors European Constitutional Law Review.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koen Lenaerts.|