Koert Van Mensvoort
Dr. Koert van Mensvoort (born April 9, 1974) is an artist, philosopher and scientist best known for his work on the philosophical concept of Next Nature.
Van Mensvoort is the head of the Next Nature Lab at the Industrial Design Department of the Eindhoven University of Technology, a position he has held since 2003. In 1997 Van Mensvoort received a Master of Science degree in computer science, specializing in computer graphics from the Eindhoven University of Technology. In 2000 he completed a Master of Fine Arts degree at the Sandberg Institute in Amsterdam. In 2008 he was Visionary in Residence at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena. Van Mensvoort received a doctorate from the Eindhoven University of Technology in 2009 for his thesis What You See Is What You Feel. Van Mensvoort is the founder and director of the Next Nature Network, a design-and-think tank based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Van Mensvoort works in many different media to materialize his philosophy. Most of his multi-media projects are concerned with how technology becomes so omnipresent, intricate and uncontrollable we start to perceive it as a nature of its own. Notable projects
- The book Next Nature: Nature Changes Along With Us with Hendrik-Jan Grievink. Scientific American magazine wrote in a review that “next nature can give us a new vocabulary and a new philosophy to see and design the world.”
- The Rise and Fall of Rayfish Footwear online film project on the fictional company Rayfish.com that offered personalized sneakers crafted from genetically modified stingray leather.
- The NANO Supermarket a mobile exhibition featuring nanotech products that might be on the market within the next ten years.
- The Datafountain, is an internet-enabled water fountain connected to money currency rates.
- The documentary Daddy! The Woods Smell of Shampoo, exploring the intimate role media play in our society: how the media have become fundamentally part of the cycle through which we create meaning and it effectively becomes impossible to distinguish media from reality.
- The Fake for Real memory game on the tension between reality and simulation.
- The online interactive dance film Drift, featuring a dancer without a body.
- The Biggest Visual Power Show, a pop conference held in Amsterdam, Zollverein and Los Angeles.
Van Mensvoort has co-authored numerous books and publications.
- Next Nature: Nature Changes Along With Us, edited and designed by Koert van Mensvoort and Hendrik-Jan Grievink. The book examines people’s notion of nature and how the image of nature as static, balanced and harmonic is naive and up for reconsideration. Where technology and nature are traditionally seen as opposed, they now appear to merge or even trade places.
- Visual Power
- What You See Is What You Feel
- Natuur 2.0
- Entry Paradise – New Worlds of Design
- Style First
Lectures and Speeches
- Next Nature: How Technology becomes Nature, SXSW 2015, Austin, Texas, 2015
- Designer Organisms, Biofabricate 2014, Microsoft Technology Center, New York, USA, 2014
- What if.., Thailand Creative Design Center, Bangkok, Thailand, 2014
- ASML Techtalk, ASML, Veldhoven, The Netherlands, 2013
- Eindhoven University Lecture 2013, Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 2013
- Next Nature, TEDx Danubia, Budapest, Hungary, 2013
- DesignMarch, Iceland Design Festival, Reykjavik, Iceland, 2012
- Next Ecology, Amber Festival, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011
- Real Nature is Not Green, Wilderness Festival, Oxfordshire, UK, 2011
- Nano Supermarket, TEDx, Eindhoven, 2011
- HAIP New Nature, Ljubiana, Slovenia, 2010
- Work, Demo Symposium, Lille, France, 2010
- Money as a Medium, Follow the Money Conference, De Balie, Amsterdam, 2010
- Nature Transformer - Microwave Festival, Hong Kong, China, 2009
- Paralelo Lecture, Museum of Image and Sound, São Paulo, Brazil, 2009
- Software Studies, UCSD Center for Research in Computing and the Arts, San Diego, 2008
- Lecture Real Nature is not Green, Farmlab, Los Angeles, 2008
- Discovery07, Science Festival, Amsterdam, 2007
- Media Department, University of Xiamen, China, 2007
- Next Nature, STRP Festival Art & Technology, Eindhoven, 2006
- Wat je ziet bestaat niet!, Communication Museum, the Hague, 2004
- White Lady Lecture, Design Academy, Eindhoven, 2003
- Lecture, Empathy and Machines, Zaplab, Eindhoven, 2002
- Perceptions in Illusion, the Day of Design 2001, Eindhoven, 2001
Van Mensvoort was born in Veldhoven in the Netherlands where he spent much of his childhood creating videogames such as Trojka on his MSX2 computer. He currently resides in Amsterdam.
- "dr.ir. K.M. (Koert) van Mensvoort MFA". Tue.nl. January 19, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "What You See Is What You Feel: On the simulation of touch in graphical user interfaces (9783838325514): Koert Van Mensvoort: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Mirapaul, Matthew (April 2, 2001). "ARTS ONLINE; Innovative Webmasters Chase Fame at Browserday". The New York Times.
- "Next Nature: Nature Changes Along with Us: Amazon.co.uk: Bruce Sterling, Kelly Kevin, Peter Lunenfeld, Koert Van Mensvoort: 9788492861538: Books". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Agapakis, Christina (December 29, 2011). "Nurturing Next Nature | Oscillator, Scientific American Blog Network". Blogs.scientificamerican.com. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "The Rise and Fall of Rayfish Footwear". Nextnature.net. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- "RayFish Footwear - Grow your own sneaker". rayfish.com.
- "NOS Nieuws - Nanotechnologie rukt op". Nos.nl. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Nextnature.net (May 13, 2011). "TEDxBrainport - Koert Van Mensvoort - Nano Supermarket". YouTube. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- nextnature. "Datafountain - Money translated to Water". YouTube. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "The Datafountain: the real-time global currency fountain". Engadget. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Bonanza -> Afleveringen -> HET BOS RUIKT NAAR SHAMPOO". Vpro.nl. April 24, 2001. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Fake For Real memory game (online version)". BIS. Oct 20, 2007. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Drift". NPS. Sep 20, 2002. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Techtuur heeft de toekomst". Archief.nrc.nl. November 25, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "TEDxDanubai - Next Nature - Nature Caused by People: Koert Van Mensvoort". YouTube. April 21, 2013. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "TEDxBrainport - Koert Van Mensvoort - Nano Supermarket". YouTube. May 13, 2011. Retrieved February 7, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koert van Mensvoort.|