Koffee with Karan
|Koffee with Karan|
Promotional image of Koffee with Karan
|Created by||Karan Johar|
|Presented by||Karan Johar|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||93|
|Camera setup||Videotape, Multi-camera|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||STAR World India|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV) and 1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||19 September 2004 – present|
Koffee with Karan is a talk show on STAR World India and STAR Plus, hosted by film producer and director Karan Johar. The show is aired on STAR World India in India and on STAR Plus worldwide. The fifth season started airing on 6 November 2016.
The show airs on STAR World India. It is also telecast on other channels of the same network like Star Plus and Star One. The show is noted for its fresh and witty appeal. It is known for the revelations made by celebrities and their take on their contemporaries. The show also has its share of controversies and hence brings in great TRP's.
The show began to air in 2004 and was a huge success. The first episode aired on 19 November 2004 and the first season ended on 27 May 2005. The show had been put on hold due to Johar's commitment to his next directorial project, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006).
The show was back at the end of 2013 for a fourth season premiering on 1 December 2013. The fourth season ended on 13 April 2014.
- The Lie-O-Meter
- Karan Johar uses a 'bleep', which he calls the Lie-O-Meter, to indicate if he thinks the guest is lying. The Lie-O-Meter was mostly used in season 1 but reappeared in season 3.
- Rapid Fire
- The segment involves Johar asking a volley of questions to the guest, in which they have to answer as quickly as possible. The questions usually involve making choices between two options or just giving a straight answer. Johar usually forces the guest to choose one option of those he presents. The winner wins his Koffee Hamper. The Koffee Hamper is filled with electronic gadgets and some edible items from across the globe specially chocolates and coffees.
- Sometimes the show features a segment which allows the guest to see and hear other people's opinions. They may come from the general public or people within the industry. In some episodes it will be presented in the end of the show and in some during the show. Some episodes don't have an Opinion section.
- Koffee Quiz (introduced in Season 4)
- Johar throws a volley of bollywood-based questions to his guests. The guests are given a buzzer each to press for the chance to answer. The first one to press the buzzer gets to answer, it is passed on to the other guest only if the answer is wrong. The guest with the highest points is the winner of the segment and wins a prize. A gift, usually one wrapped in a cover is given to the winner of the Quiz.
The first season was huge success, and the program became the first English entertainment show to ever get a huge rating in India.
The second season began on 11 February 2007.
Season one began airing on 19 November 2004.
Season two began airing on 11 February 2007.
Koffee Awards 2007
For the season finale of the show, Karan Johar had introduced the Koffee Awards 2007, which featured the most memorable moments and episodes from Season 2 competing in different categories. The winners were chosen by fashion designer Rohit Bal, actress Malaika Arora and comedian Cyrus Broacha and were announced on the season finale of the episode, which aired on 16 September 2007 on STAR One and STAR World.
- Best Episode: The Kapoor Brothers (Randhir Kapoor, Rajiv Kapoor & Rishi Kapoor)
- Most Glamorous (Male): Hrithik Roshan
- Most Glamorous (Female): Priyanka Chopra
- Best Supporting Appearance: Karisma Kapoor
- Best Debut (Male): Himesh Reshammiya
- Best Debut (Female): Mira Nair
- Best Rapid Fire (Male) : Shahrukh Khan
- Best Rapid Fire (Female): Kareena Kapoor
- Best Moment of The Season: Rakhi Sawant
- Best Line of The Season: Farah Khan & Shah Rukh Khan
- Karan's Favorite Guest: Rakhi Sawant
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Shah Rukh Khan
Star World picked up Koffee with Karan for a third season. It commenced on 7 November 2010 airing every Sunday at 9pm (IST).
|Episode 1||7 November||Aishwarya Rai Bachchan & Abhishek Bachchan|
|Episode 2||14 November||Ranbir Kapoor & Imran Khan|
|Episode 3||21 November||Deepika Padukone & Sonam Kapoor|
|Episode 4||28 November||Farah Khan, Rajkumar Hirani & Imtiaz Ali|
|Episode 5||5 December||Kareena Kapoor & Saif Ali Khan|
|Episode 6||12 December||Anil Kapoor, Sanjay Dutt & Kangana Ranaut|
|Episode 7||19 December||Priyanka Chopra & Shahid Kapoor|
|Episode 8||26 December||Amitabh Bachchan & Shweta Nanda|
|Episode 9||2 January||Shahrukh Khan|
|Episode 10||9 January||Rani Mukerji & Vidya Balan|
|Episode 11||16 January||Lara Dutta & Mahesh Bhupathi|
|Episode 12||23 January||Hrithik Roshan & Suzanne Roshan|
|Episode 13||30 January||Ajay Devgan|
|Episode 14||6 February||Best of Koffee with Karan Season 3|
|Episode 15||13 February||Sajid Khan, Ritesh Deshmukh, Boman Irani|
|Episode 16||20 February||Anushka Sharma, Ranveer Singh|
|Episode 17||27 February||Madhuri Dixit, Sonakshi Sinha|
|Episode 18||20 March||John Abraham|
|Episode 19||27 March||Farhan Akhtar, Zoya Akhtar|
|Episode 20||3 April||Ekta Kapoor, Tushar Kapoor|
|Episode 21||10 April||Best of Koffee with Karan Season 3|
|Episode 22||17 April||Koffee Awards|
- 1. Mahesh Bhupathi is the first ever sports personality to be featured on the show with his then fiancé and now wife Lara Dutta.
- 2. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan made her first-ever re-introduced appearance on the show after her marriage with Abhishek Bachchan.
Koffee Awards 2011
For the season finale of the show, Karan Johar had brought back the Koffee Awards 2011, which featured the most memorable moments and episodes from Season 3 competing in different categories. The winners were chosen by film critics Rajeev Masand and Sarita Tanwar, fashion designer Manish Malhotra and talk show host Koel Purie Rinchet, and were announced on the season finale of the episode, which aired on 17 April 2011 on STAR One and STAR World.
- Best Dressed (Male): Hrithik Roshan
- Best Dressed (Female): Kareena Kapoor
- Best Debut (Male): Ranbir Kapoor
- Best Debut (Female): Sonam Kapoor
- Best Performance (Male): Shahrukh Khan
- Best Performance (Female): Deepika Padukone
- Best Rapid Fire (Male): Saif Ali Khan
- Best Rapid Fire (Female): Kareena Kapoor
- Best Episode (Critics): Deepika Padukone & Sonam Kapoor
- Best Episode (Popular): Priyanka Chopra & Shahid Kapoor
The fourth season of Koffee with Karan commenced on 1 December 2013, airing every Sunday at 9pm (IST) on STAR World India. The final episode aired on 13 April 2014 bringing the season to a close.
|Episode 1||1 December||Salman Khan & Salim Khan|
|Episode 2||8 December||Kareena Kapoor Khan & Ranbir Kapoor|
|Episode 3||15 December||Aamir Khan & Kiran Rao|
|Episode 4||22 December||Ranveer Singh & Arjun Kapoor, Shanoo Sharma|
|Episode 5||29 December||Sidharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan & Alia Bhatt|
|Episode 6||5 January||Priyanka Chopra & Deepika Padukone|
|Episode 7||12 January||Farhan Akhtar & Vidya Balan|
|Episode 8||19 January||Akshay Kumar|
|Episode 9||26 January||Emraan Hashmi & Mahesh Bhatt|
|Episode 10||2 February||Sonakshi Sinha & Shahid Kapoor|
|Episode 11||9 February||Anushka Sharma & Anurag Kashyap|
|Episode 12||16 February||Abhishek Bachchan & Farah Khan|
|Episode 13||23 February||Juhi Chawla & Madhuri Dixit|
|Episode 14||2 March||Freida Pinto & Nargis Fakhri|
|Episode 15||9 March||Aditya Roy Kapur & Shraddha Kapoor|
|Episode 16||16 March||Kajol & Ayan Mukerji|
|Episode 17||23 March||Rohit Shetty & Zoya Akhtar|
|Episode 18||30 March||Anil Kapoor & Sonam Kapoor|
|Episode 19||6 April||Parineeti Chopra & Alia Bhatt|
|Episode 20||13 April||Best of Koffee With Karan Season 4|
1. Several film personalities who established themselves even before the previous seasons of Koffee with Karan made their first appearances on the show during this season including Salman Khan, Salim Khan, Aamir Khan, Kiran Rao, Akshay Kumar, Emraan Hashmi, Mahesh Bhatt, Anurag Kashyap, Juhi Chawla, Freida Pinto and Rohit Shetty.
2. Several film personalities who have recently established themselves made their first appearances on the show during this season including Arjun Kapoor, Sidharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt, Nargis Fakhri, Ayan Mukerji, Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor, and Parineeti Chopra.
3. For the first time in the history of Koffee with Karan, it has happened that an episode has been moved to a late night slot due to some bold confessions made by guests, Nargis Fakhri and Freida Pinto.
4. For the first time in the history of Koffee with Karan, it has happened that Shah Rukh Khan, John Abraham and Hrithik Roshan did not appear in any episode in the season.
The fifth season commenced on 6 November 2016, airing every Sunday at 9pm (IST) on STAR World India.
|Episode 1||6 November 2016||Shah Rukh Khan & Alia Bhatt|
|Episode 2||13 November 2016||Akshay Kumar & Twinkle Khanna|
|Episode 3||20 November 2016||Arjun Kapoor & Varun Dhawan|
|Episode 4||27 November 2016||Ranbir Kapoor & Ranveer Singh|
|Episode 5||4 December 2016||Aditya Roy Kapur & Parineeti Chopra|
|Episode 6||11 December 2016||Salman Khan, Arbaaz Khan & Sohail Khan|
- 1. Twinkle Khanna, an old friend of Johar and a former actress, made her first appearance on the show.
- 2. Arjun Kapoor made a guest appearance in one segment of the season's fourth episode with Ranbir Kapoor & Ranveer Singh.
The show is known for creating controversy and is often in the media. Celebrity relationships are frequently discussed and guests are asked to clarify rumors. Below are a few episodes that generated media reports.
- Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor
- Season 3, episode 3 featuring guests Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor generated media buzz after statements were made by the two. Host Karan Johar asked them to speak about Ranbir Kapoor with whom they both share an equation. Padukone and Ranbir Kapoor had dated for about 2 years and broke up prior to her appearance on the talk show. When discussing the break-up, Padukone hinted that he was not a good boyfriend by saying “I think he needs to work on his boyfriend skills.” She also alluded to Kapoor cheating on her. Sonam Kapoor, who co-starred with Ranbir in their debut film Saawariya, commented that he needed a stylist and was not sexy. After the episode aired, it was reported that Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh had taken issue with the comments made by the actresses. Johar also came under fire for instigating the personal attacks.
- Nargis Fakhri and Freida Pinto
- For the first time in the history of Koffee with Karan, it has happened that an episode has been moved to a late night slot due to some bold confessions made by guests, Nargis Fakhri and Freida Pinto. Both the actresses had openly used words like 'buttcheeks' and 'penis' on the show. Freida Pinto was not shy about talking about her affair with Dev Patel.
- "Revealed: This is when Koffee with Karan Season 5 will premiere - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- KJo back with Koffee With Karan Season 3
- "No Koffee for Karan this year". The Times Of India. 14 June 2012.
- "hinduonnet.com". Huge ratings for Koffee with Karan. Retrieved 25 January 2007.
- "indya.com". Koffee with Karan is BACK!. Retrieved 9 February 2007.
- "indiafm.com". Karan announces Koffee Awards 2007. Retrieved 15 September 2007.
- "funxite.com". Koffee with Karan-Koffee Awards. Retrieved 6 October 2007.
- "Freida Pinto, Nargis Fakhri get naughty on 'Koffee With Karan'". Indian Express. 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "koffee-with-karan-4-freida-pinto-nargis-fakhri-get-dirty-on-the-show". idiva. 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-01-03.