East entrance, December 2006
|Location||Kogane, Shimotsuke, Tochigi
|Operated by||JR East|
|Passengers (FY2014)||3,911 daily|
Koganei Station is served by the Utsunomiya Line (Tohoku Main Line), and is 88.1 km from the starting point of the line at Tokyo. Through services to and from the Tokaido Line and Yokosuka Line are also provided via the Shonan-Shinjuku Line and Ueno-Tokyo Line.
|1/2||■ Utsunomiya Line||for Utsunomiya and Kuroiso|
|■ Shonan-Shinjuku Line||for Utsunomiya|
|3/4||■ Utsunomiya Line||for Oyama, Ōmiya, and Ueno|
|■ Shonan-Shinjuku Line||for Ōmiya, Shinjuku, Yokohama, and Zushi|
Koganei Station opened on 25 March 1893. During World War II, Koganei Station was strafed by American fighter aircraft on 28 July 1945, killing some 30 civilians on a Tohoku Main Line train stopped at the station. A monument describing the event exists at the west exit of the station. With the privatization of JNR on 1 April 1987, the station came under the control of JR East.
In fiscal 2012, the station was used by an average of 3,879 passengers daily (boarding passengers only). The passenger figures for previous years are as shown below.
|Fiscal year||Daily average|
- Former Kokubunji town hall
- Shimotsuke Koganei Post Office
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2014年度) [FY2014 station passenger figures] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Ishino, Tetsu, ed. (1998). 停車場変遷大辞典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR]. II. Japan: JTB. p. 394. ISBN 4-533-02980-9.
- [http://www.city.shimotsuke.lg.jp/hp/page000011700/hpg000011689.htm Shimotsuke city official home page (Japanese)
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2012年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2012)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2000年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2000)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2005年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2005)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2010年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2010)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. Retrieved 22 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Koganei Station.|
- JR East station information (Japanese)