This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|• Type||District Administration|
|• Deputy Commissioner||Roshan Mehsud|
|• District Police Officer||N/A|
|• District Health Officer||N/A|
|• Total||2,991 km2 (1,155 sq mi)|
|• Density||370/km2 (960/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
|Number of Tehsils||4|
Kohat District (Pashto: کوهاټ ولسوالۍ, Urdu: ضلع کوہاٹ) is a district in Kohat Division of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. Kohat city is the capital of the district.
From the early sixteenth century the history of Kohat revolves around three major tribes namely Bangash, Banoori, and Afridi. These people appear to have settled in the district, during 14th and 15th centuries. From 16th to 18th centuries, Kohat being part of Mughal Empire was administered by the chiefs of two aforementioned tribes.
At the time of the 2017 census the district had a population of 1,111,266, of which 555,765 were males and 555,390 females. Rural population was 841,340 (75.71%) while the urban population was 269,926 (24.29%). The literacy rate was 58.59% - the male literacy rate was 77.75% while the female literacy rate was 39.96%.
At the time of the 2011 census, 83.85% of the population spoke Pashto, 12.87% Hindko, 1.24% Urdu and 1.19% Punjabi as their first language.
|Religion||Population (1941): 22||Percentage (1941)||Population (2017)||Percentage (2017)|
Kohat district is divided into four Tehsils:
- Dara Adam Khel Tehsil (formerly Frontier Region Kohat)
|Member of Provincial Assembly||Party Affiliation||Constituency||Year|
|Amjad Khan Afridi||Independent||PK-80 Kohat-I||2018|
|Shah Dad Khan||Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal||PK-81 Kohat-II||2018|
|Zia Ullah Khan||Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf||PK-82 Kohat-III||2018|
- ^ a b c "District Wise Results / Tables (Census - 2017)". www.pbscensus.gov.pk. Pakistan Bureau of Statistics.
- ^ History of Kohat
- ^ "CENSUS OF INDIA, 1941 VOLUME X NORTH-WEST FRONTIER PROVINCE". Retrieved 14 October 2021.
- 1981 District Census report of Kohat. District Census Report. Vol. 27. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1983.
- 1998 District Census report of Kohat. Census publication. Vol. 42. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1999.
- Shackle, Christopher (1980). "Hindko in Kohat and Peshawar". Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies. 43 (3): 482–510. doi:10.1017/S0041977X00137401. ISSN 0041-977X. S2CID 129436200.