This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location of Kohat District (highlighted in red) within the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province.
|Province||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province|
|• Total||2,545 km2 (983 sq mi)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (PST)|
The major languages in the district are Pashto, spoken by 75% of the population, and Hindko – spoken by 20%. The Hindko dialect of this district is Kohati and it is confined to the city of Kohat and a string of villages running east along the road to Kushalgarh on the Indus. There is also a group of native speakers of Urdu (0.8%) and Punjabi (4%).
From the early sixteenth century the history of Kohat revolves around three major tribes namely Bangash, Banoori, and Afridi. These people appear to have settled in the district, during 14th and 15th centuries. From 16th to 18th centuries, Kohat being part of Mughal Empire was administered by the Chiefs of two afore mentioned tribes. In the beginning of the 19th century Kohat came under the control of Sikhs who ultimately withdrew leaving to the administrative control of Khan of Teri in 1836.
Kohat district is divided into two Tehsils:
- Lachi (Lachi is one of the largest village of Kohat. Situated on the southern border with Karak district)
- PF-37 (Kohat-1)
- PF-38 (Kohat-2)
- PF-39 (Kohat-3)
- NA-14 (Kohat)
- "DISTRICT WISE CENSUS RESULTS CENSUS 2017" (PDF). www.pbscensus.gov.pk.
- The figures for Kohat tehsil are from PCO (1981, p. 86), which collected data for "mother languages" at the level of the household.
- Shackle 1980, p. 485.
- PCO 1981, p. 86.
- History of Kohat
- Constituencies and MPAs – Website of the Provincial Assembly of the NWFP Archived 2008-03-27 at the Wayback Machine
- 1981 District Census report of Kohat. District Census Report. 27. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1983.
- 1998 District Census report of Kohat. Census publication. 42. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1999.
- Shackle, Christopher (1980). "Hindko in Kohat and Peshawar". Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies. 43 (3): 482–510. doi:10.1017/S0041977X00137401. ISSN 0041-977X.