|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai North|
Kolathur is a Place in North Chennai (formerly Madras), Tamil Nadu, South India.It is well developed area with all facilities. Nearby neighborhoods are Vajjiravel Nagar, Perambur, Vinayagapuram, Villivakkam, Puzhal, Poombhugar Nagar, Jawahar Nagar, Thiru-vi-ka Nagar, Sakthivel Nagar, Periyar Nagar and ICF. Kolathur is near the Grand Northern Trunk Road (NH 5). Kolathur's population has grown quickly enough to make it a State Assembly constituency. Kolathur could have also got its name from the kulams (ponds) that you could see. One kulam is behind Amman koil (temple) near Grace matriculation school or opposite to Don Bosco school peravallur. Another kulam, "Tamarai kulam" (Lotus pond) is near the Theruveedhi Amman koil (temple) near Govt school in Anjugam nagar 21st street. There is also a kulam (pond) opposite to Ganga cinemas which is dry now. The Rettai Eri (two lakes) could have also contributed to the name Kolathur.
The Inner Ring Road also passes through Kolathur, making it one of the best-connected areas in Chennai. Via the Ring Road, one can reach Anna Nagar (5 km away) in 10 minutes. Nearby railway stations include Villivakkam and Perambur Loco Works. Kolathur awaits a bus deport. For Now, there are Bus stands in Vinayakapuram, Kumaran Nagar, Poompuhar nagar and Srinivasa Nagar.
- Bharath N & P School
- Shirdipuram Sarva Shakthi Peedam—Shirdi Sai Baba Temple @ Thirumal Nagar, Vinayagapuram. Near Godson CBSE School
- Happymarket.in (Online store which has categories of Groceries and General Provision, Fresh vegetable and Fruits, Cake and Bakery Items and Medicines with multiple sellers)
- BHARATH School
- Anna Silai (Ambedkar Statue)
- S.R.P. Colony
- Daikin Solution Plaza (Touch N Chill)
- DRJ Hospital
- Brizzoft (Above ICICI Bank)
- Saravana Eye Hospital
- Dominos Pizza
- Requiem Injustice Band Headquarters
- Rettai Eri (Two Lakes)
- Sri Ganga Cinemas
- Reliance Super Market
- Mookambika Theater (now an apartment block)
- RC Prince Gardenia (Flats with Theatre/Park/Swimming Pool)
- Poompuhar Nagar Park
- Everwin School
- Donbosco School
- Jaigopal Garodia School (JGMHSS)
- SDCVV CBSE School
- Anjugam Nagar
- Swimming pool kumaran nagar
- Billiards at 70 feet road
- Eyal Organic store @ Ram Nagar
- First Maxillofacial care and Implant Center in Kolathur "SPARKS" Dental and Maxillofacial Center.
- In recent years there has been an boom in Used Car's Shops in Kolathur. There are about 15 used car shops in 100 feet road alone.
- Recently there is a boom in churches in Kolathur, there are more than 280 churches in Kolathur and its surroundings.
- The number of restaurants has increased several times. With the entry of Ninety9 Theme restaurant and chain restaurants such as Ganga Sweets, Paramakidi, Dominos and Fingers restaurant.
- Now Hotel SRM Grands recently opened with business class rooms, Navarasa emotional dining restaurant and banquet halls.
Hub of ornamental fish trade
Kolathur is also known for the largest export of colorful tropical fish, aquarium fish feed, aquariums, glass and stone aquarium gravel. Pet animals other than fish are also available in Aquarium Street, They include Love Birds, Hamsters, pigeons, hens etc. Kolathur was once a hub for fish breeding too,now due to the high ground rates fish farms are converted into residential houses and flats and the farms and ponds are transferred to Gummudipondi. It was Mr. Ashok who was instrumental in breeding ornamental fishes, as he started imparting his knowledge to his friends who started fish breeding farms. Then a few enterprising people started breeding varieties of fishes in the 1980s in the sprawling backyards of their homes. The main reason was that the area was endowed with abundant fresh ground water sources and there was the perennial ‘Retteri' lake. Moreover, as ornamental fishes breed in different types of water and the water available at Kolathur has a balanced pH (Potential Hydrogen) value of 6 to 7.8, the business thrived. At present, there are around 80 shops dealing in ornamental fishes, aquariums and fish accessories spread out on School Road and Mada Streets in Kolathur.
Location in Context
|Retteri, Surapet||Periyar Nagar, Perambur|
|Pattravakkam , Ambattur||Korattur, Anna Nagar||Villivakkam, ICF, Ayanavaram|