|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||New Kolb Aircraft|
|Status||In production (2012)|
US$13,340 (1999 base price)
The Kolb Slingshot is an American tandem two seat, high wing, strut-braced, pusher configuration, conventional landing gear-equipped ultralight aircraft, produced in kit form by New Kolb Aircraft of London, Kentucky and intended for amateur construction.
Design and development
The Slingshot was designed as a two seat ultralight with a small wing and high cruise speed for the installed power, capable of delivering speeds comparable to a general aviation aircraft without the associated cost or complexity. The standard engine was originally the 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 engine, but the 50 hp (37 kW) Rotax 503, 74 hp (55 kW) Rotax 618, 80 hp (60 kW) Rotax 912UL and 80 hp (60 kW) or 2si twin engine packs have been installed. In its home country the aircraft is normally licensed in the Experimental - amateur-built category.
The design features a forward fuselage of welded 4130 steel tubing, mated to an aluminum tailboom. The horizontal stabilizer, tail fin and wings are also constructed of riveted aluminum tubing with all flying surfaces covered in doped aircraft fabric. The wings and horizontal tail are quick-folding for storage and ground transport. The Slingshot can be made ready to fly from trailering in 15 minutes.
The company describes the Slingshot's two seat capabilities, "the rear passenger seat is designed for average size people, up to 175 pounds. The seating arrangement has the passenger's legs overlapping the pilot's seat. This allows the fuselage to be shorter and more compact. It also saves a lot of weight.".
In reviewing the aircraft Andre Cliche said:
|“||This tandem two-seater is a really hot little racer with a short speedwing and an oversized engine.||”|
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 19 ft 0 in (5.79 m)
- Wingspan: 22 ft 0 in (6.71 m)
- Height: 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)
- Wing area: 110 sq ft (10 m2)
- Empty weight: 345 lb (156 kg)
- Gross weight: 850 lb (386 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 10 US gallons (38 litres)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 582 twin cylinder, two-stroke aircraft engine, 64 hp (48 kW)
- Maximum speed: 100 mph (161 km/h; 87 kn)
- Cruise speed: 87 mph (76 kn; 140 km/h)
- Stall speed: 39 mph (34 kn; 63 km/h)
- Never exceed speed: 125 mph (109 kn; 201 km/h)
- G limits: +4/-2
- Rate of climb: 1,300 ft/min (6.6 m/s)
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Downey, Julia: 1999 Kit Aircraft Directory, Kitplanes, Volume 15, Number 12, December 1998, page 54. Primedia Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Cliche, Andre: Ultralight Aircraft Shopper's Guide 8th Edition, page B-89. Cybair Limited Publishing, 2001. ISBN 0-9680628-1-4
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, page 188. BAI Communications. ISBN 0-9636409-4-1
- "Kolb Aircraft Slingshot Experimental Light Kit Build Aircraft". Kolbaircraft.com. Retrieved 2012-09-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kolb Aircraft.|