Kolia Bhomora Setu
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kolia Bhomora Setu
|Locale||Between Tezpur, Assam, India and Kaliabor, Assam, India|
|Official name||Kolia Bhomora Setu|
|Maintained by||Government of Assam|
|Total length||3,015 metres (9,892 ft)|
|Longest span||120 metres (390 ft)|
|No. of spans||24|
Kolia Bhomora Setu is a pre-stressed concrete road bridge over the Brahmaputra River near Tezpur and Kaliabor in Assam, India. It is named after the Ahom General Kolia Bhomora Phukan. The bridge falls on route of National Highway 715, previously known as NH-37A.
This bridge connects Sonitpur on the north bank with Nagaon District on the south bank. The length of this bridge is 3015 meters, and construction took place from 1981 to 1987. It was inaugurated by the then PM of India, Rajiv Gandhi. Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications, issued a commemorative stamp of this bridge on 14 April 1987, priced at INR 2.
For nearly 30 years toll was charged for transiting Kolia Bhomora Setu. After receiving numerous complaints the Union Ministry stopped the toll permanently in September 2016. The reasoning for shut down was that bridge construction cost was Rs. 80 crore which was below tollable ceiling of Rs. 100 crores.
- List of bridges on Brahmaputra River
- List of longest bridges in the world
- List of longest bridges above water in India
- "Kaliabhomora Bridge", Akash Protim Barua website, retrieved 14 June 2007.
- "Bhomoraguri". Sonitpur district Official website. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "DISTRICT CENSUS HANDBOOK - SONITPUR" (PDF). Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Indian Postage Stamps 1947 - 2000". Ministry of Communications (India). Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "A commemorative stamp on the Inauguration of Kolia Bhomora Setu". Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Kaliabhomora Bridge, Assam", Hindustan Construction Company website, retrieved 14 June 2007.
- "Kolia Bhomora Setu to shut down toll gate permanently". GPlus - Guwahati weekly publication. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Kalia bhomora Bridge view in the early morning
- Wikimapia entry with aerial view
- News item in Projects Monitor website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kolia Bhomora Setu.|