|Birth name||Komal Rizvi|
|Born||3 August 1981|
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
|Genres||Pop, Bhangra and Contemporary|
|Occupation(s)||singer, songwriter, actress |
Indian and Pakistan Television shows host
|Years active||( 1997–present )|
Early life and career
Komal Rizvi was born in Dubai and then raised in England and Nigeria. As a teenager, she came to Pakistan and launched her career in Karachi where she was also a student. Komal started off her career at the young age of 16 when her talent was spotted by a family friend, Komal's brother Hasan Rizvi who is a dancer and entrepreneur also performed with Komal at various fashion events. Komal released her first song in 1999 which went on to become a super hit bhangra song Bauji bauji bhangra saaday naal paoji and Komal became an overnight sensation. Komal then moved onto hosting with her debut show BPL Oye. Within a short span of time, Komal had become a household name and the nation's darling. Her effortless style and vocals made her a true star. She often writes the lyrics of her own songs.
Komal’s first screen role was for Pakistan Television (PTV) super hit Hawaain in 1997 followed by Lehrein. TV serials like Kabhi Kabhi, Teesra Peher and Samandar Hai Dharmiyan helped establish Komal as one of the leading actresses of Pakistani TV industry. She then received a lot of praise for her role in Hum TV's Mujhe Roothney Na Dena. Komal is known as one of the most popular and natural actresses of the current lot. Despite the critical acclaim she has received for her acting, Komal is very selective about her acting projects as she tries to maintain her main focus on singing.
"There are a few things that I look at before accepting a role. The major thing is the script and the production team. I accept only if the script is strong, realistic and relatable. I don't accept to act if the part I am going to play and the script are not good enough." Komal Rizvi said in an interview given to You! Magazine,Karachi,Pakistan.  In September 2016, there is news that Komal Rizvi will star in a Hollywood movie under the banner of a Canadian production house. This new film, named 'Afreen' will be released in 2017. Komal Rizvi said, in a newspaper interview, about the film's subject and plot, "It's an anti-ISIS and a pro-Muslim film".
Television show hosting
Komal started her TV hosting career with BPL Oye. The highlight of her hosting career remains the TV show she did for 'Channel V' in India where she interviewed some of the biggest names of the Indian industry. Besides these, Komal has hosted Karachi Nights With Komal, Hum TV Mornings With Komal and Nachley, the popular dance reality show for ARY.
Coke Studio (Pakistan)
Komal was a part of Coke Studio’s third season where she performed Daaneh Pe Daanah with folk singer Akhtar Chanal Zahri. Originally written and composed by Zahri himself, the song fondly sings the praises of the province Balochistan he hails from. Presenting an unconventional alliance, this Coke Studio rendition of the popular folk song fuses with Sindhi Sufi classic Lal Meri Path, took both well-loved anthems to a new level in 2011. Reborn against the backdrop of a modern funk groove, the song became a colorful musical demonstration of diversity with Zahri and Rizvi, two strong yet vastly different personalities, combining their voices in a symbolic celebration of individuality. Komal also performed Lambi Judaai a classic Reshma number. Reshma caused a stir across the border in India when Lambi Judaai from the soundtrack of 1983 Bollywood film Hero became a massive hit. Coke Studio presented the nostalgic melody against a fluid backdrop of rich chordal elements to take on the quality of a ballad from the 1950s. Both the numbers have been featured on the Top 10 all-time hits of Coke Studio. Komal is the only female singer to be featured twice on that list.
- http://www.cokestudio.com.pk/season7/komal-rizvi.html, Profile of Komal Rizvi on Coke Studio (Pakistan) website, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016
- "Komal Rizvi's profile". Forum Pakistan. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- http://www.worldknowledge1.com/singer/komal-rizvi.php, Komal Rizvi's biodata on worldknowledge1.com website, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016
- http://www.fashionuniverse.net/fashion-fave-or-fail-here-are-5-best-and-worst-moments-from-bridal-week/, Hasan and Komal Rizvi at bridal week
- https://hinasafdar.wordpress.com/2016/05/19/vintage-galleria-furniture-of-your-dreams/komal-rizvi-mr-mrs-hasan-rizvi-2/, Hasan with his wife Hina Ramzi and sister Komal Rizvi
- https://tribune.com.pk/story/3898/reality-bites/, Hasan Rizvi mentioned for BodyBeat Dance Studio
- https://tribune.com.pk/story/1047971/meet-hasan-rizvi-lahore-se-aagay/, his sister – singer and actor Komal Rizvi
- http://www.fashioncentral.pk/fashion_events/veet-miss-super-model-grand-finale-2015/faiza-ansari-nausheen-shah-komal-rizvi-hasan-rizvi/, Hasan Rizvi with his sister
- https://images.dawn.com/news/1176315, Komal and brother, Hassan Rizvi at the luncheon at Mews
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YGPhLAbMoQ, Komal Rizvi's super-hit bhangra song (1999) on YouTube, Retrieved 30 October 2016
- http://www.koolstars.com/actress/komal_rizvi.html, Profile of Komal Rizvi on koolstars.com website, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016
- http://vidpk.com/24264/ptv-all-time-hit-drama-HAWAAIN-part3/, Komal Rizvi on Pakistan Television's TV Serial 'Hawaain' (1997) on vidpk.com website, Retrieved 30 October 2016
- http://tribune.com.pk/story/1187607/komal-rizvi-set-make-hollywood-debut/, 'Komal Rizvi set to make her Hollywood debut', The Express Tribune newspaper, Published 24 September 2016, Retrieved 30 October 2016
- http://images.dawn.com/news/1174226/, Komal Rizvi's interviews (as a 'Channel V' TV host) with the Indian celebrities on the Dawn newspaper, Published 15 Nov 2015, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxmO6oSAEI, Komal Rizvi performing 'Daaneh Pe Daanah' song from Coke Studio (Pakistan) on YouTube, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHp1WrMqOU, Komal Rizvi performing the song 'Lambi Judaai' on YouTube, Retrieved 30 Oct 2016