Lake Koman Ferry
|Locale||Fierze, Albania; Koman, Albania|
|Transit type||Passenger ferry|
|Operator||SAHHILBA/Alpin, Mario Molla, Vellezerit Marku (Berisha/Dragobia), Rozafa|
|No. of lines||4|
|No. of vessels||~10|
|No. of terminals||2|
Lake Koman Ferry (Albanian: Trageti i Komanit) is a passenger ferry service operated by several local companies along the Koman Reservoir (also known as Koman Lake) in Northern Albania. The line operates between Koman near the Koman Hydroelectric Power Station, and Fierzë near the Fierza Hydroelectric Power Station. The line is known for its breath taking views of the mountain gorges, unscheduled stops along the way for serving locals, and the peculiar atmosphere of both locals, foreigners, and even animals being fitted on board up to full capacity. According to Bradt Travel guides, the journey is described as "one of the world's great boat trips" only comparable to the Scandinavian fjords.
Following the construction of the dam and inundation of the area, a ferry service was established to serve the local population. Since the 2000s, the area has become a growing tourist destination. As a result, the old car ferry ship Dardania underwent a complete makeover and began regular trips in May 2015 with the new name Alpin Ferry. Between June 2012 and April 2014 the Jezerca X car ferry was no longer running. The new A1 highway connecting the Albanian coast with Kukes and Kosovo made it redundant and allowed for the Dardania ship makeover. Presently, several private companies offer custom tours packages with acceptable vessels.
Also there is the Dragobia Boat, which has been operating in the lake since 1994. Now they also have the Berisha Ferry, which can carry up to 5 cars.
As of May 2015, the revamped car ferry ship was re-introduced running every day with a new timetable.
The car ferry departs everyday from Fierza usually at 09:00 in the morning and arrives in Komani at around 11:00. At 12:00 (noon) it departs from Komani and arrives in Fierza at 14:00. Other ferry services such as Berisha have an inverted schedule. Schedule changes in the winter season to accommodate lower ridership.
Furgons (minibuses) serve the area and are usually located at the ferry docking stations. Furgons depart from Shkoder at about 06:00 in the morning near Hotel Rozafa on Democracy Square (Sheshi Demokracia).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Category:Ferries on Lake Komani.|
- Komani Lake Explore (Official Site)
- Alpin Car Ferry (Official Site) (Facebook Page)
- Ferry Tour Berisha/Komani Lake Ferry (Official Site) (Facebook Page)
- Mario Molla Komani Lake Tours (Official Site) (Facebook Page)
- Rozafa Ferry&Accommodation (Official Site) (Facebook Page)
- Lake, Komani. "Guide to Komani Lake".
- Fox, Killian (April 15, 2012). "Testing the Water in Albania". The Guardian. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- Vadala, Davide (24 February 2015). "How to get from Shkodër to Valbona and the impressive Koman lake ferry". Nomad Traveller.
- Wassel, Todd (June 24, 2011). "Off Track on the Northern Albanian Komani Lake". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 10 August 2011.