|Directed by||M. Muthaiah|
|Written by||M. Muthaiah|
|Music by||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.|
|Distributed by||Dream Factory|
|136 minutes |
Komban is a 2015 Tamil action drama film directed by M. Muthaiah and produced by Studio Green. The film stars Karthi and Lakshmi Menon with G. V. Prakash Kumar composing the film's music. It was dubbed in Hindi under the title Daringbaaz 2 in 2017. The film released on 1 April 2015 to mixed reviews but becomes a Box office Success. 
- Karthi as Kombaiah Pandian
- Lakshmi Menon as Palani Kombaiah Pandian
- Rajkiran as Muthiah
- Super Subbarayan as Gundan Ramasamy
- Thambi Ramaiah as Rajakili
- Karunas as Muniyandi
- Kovai Sarala as Kottaiamma, Kombaiah Pandian's mother
- I. M. Vijayan as Muthukalai, Gundan Ramasamy's elder son
- Dheena as Santhanakalai, Gundan Ramasamy's second son
- Arunmozhithevan as Gundan Ramasamy's youngest son
- G. Gnanasambandam as Magistrate
- Vela Ramamoorthy as Duraipandi
- Veerasamar as Amavasai
- G. Marimuthu as Pattasu
- George Maryan as Tea Master
- Yogi Babu as First Man in Fight
- Namo Narayana
- Stalin as Inspector Inbanathan
- Hello Kandasamy as Constable
- Guru as Alangaram
- Maha Gandhi as Bhairava
- DMJ Rajasimhan
- Baba Bhaskar (special appearance in the song "Karuppu Nerathazhagi")
Studio Green announced that their next production would start from June 2014 with M. Muthaiah of Kutti Puli (2013) fame taking charge of the direction and that the film would feature Karthi in a rural based role for the second time following his debut film Paruthiveeran (2007). Yuvan Shankar Raja was initially reported to be composing the film's score and soundtrack, but he was replaced with G. V. Prakash Kumar in July 2014. Velraj handled the film's cinematography. Praveen K. L. was selected to be the film's editor. Sri Divya was first reported to be the female lead, but the role went to Lakshmi Menon, who also was the maker's first choice, while Rajkiran was selected to play a pivotal role. Stunt choreographer Super Subbarayan was cast for an antagonistic role. Malayalam actor and former footballer I. M. Vijayan was chosen to portray another villain in the film. Comedian Karunas and character artist Thambi Ramaiah were added to the cast as well.
The team announced that the film would be a start-to-finish affair and the film's shoots would be wrapped up in 70 days' time. Principal photography took place on 18 June 2014. Karthi's father, actor Sivakumar attended the event. Karthi was reported to have grown a handlebar moustache and beard for his character. He also put on weight for the role. Most of the scenes were also shot at Mudukulathur. 50% of the film was completed by early October 2014.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||5 March 2015|
|Producer||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|G. V. Prakash Kumar chronology|
G. V. Prakash Kumar composed the soundtrack album and background score for the film, the third time he collaborated with Karthi, after Aayirathil Oruvan (2010) and Saguni (2012). Shreya Ghoshal recorded a song in the film. The lyrics were written by Ra. Thanikodi and Mahalingam.
|1.||"Kambikara Vetti"||Ananthu, VM Mahalingam||5:00|
|2.||"Appappa"||Shreya Ghoshal, G. V. Prakash Kumar||5:44|
|3.||"Karuppu Nerathazhagi"||Velmurugan, Malavika Sundar||4:31|
|4.||"Mella Valanjadhu"||Madhu Balakrishnan||4:21|
|5.||"Celebration" (Komban Theme)||G. V. Prakash Kumar||3:20|
The movie was heavily criticized by K. Krishnasamy the leader of the dalit party Puthiya Tamilagam and many dalit political leaders for its glorification of caste and was accused of fomenting intercaste violence in the state of Tamilnadu.
The film received mixed reviews from critics.
M. Suganth of The Times of India gave 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "The problem, though, is not the similarity of the characters or predictability of the plot, but the lack of real excitement in most of the scenes…The film hums along, moving from one scene to the next, without really making much of an impact in the viewer". Gautaman Bhaskaran of The Hindustan Times rated 2 out of 5 and wrote, "Komban is an endless roll of flashing knives and gritting teeth…Komban is hardly worth the time or money". Baradwaj Rangan of The Hindu wrote, "Komban: So dull...that's the real controversy". Asokan Nirmalarajah on letterboxd agreed with Rangan's sentiment and rated the film 1.5 stars out of 5, claiming that "a tiring emphasis on fights over a proper care in characterisation and storytelling becomes the undoing of this handsome, if dull production". Filmibeat rated the film 3 stars out of 5, writing, "Packed with all the elements required for a successful commercial entertainer, Komban delivers the goods." Indiaglitz rated the film 3.25 stars out of 5, calling it "a raging bull".
- M.Suganth. "The film hums along, moving from one scene to the next, without really making much of an impact in the viewer". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Karthi's 'Komban' - a start-to-finish affair". Behindwoods. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Prakash Upadhyaya. "Komban release date advanced". The International Business Times. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Prakash Upadhyaya (4 April 2015). "Komban review roundup". The International Business Times. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Karuppu Nerathazhagi - Komban Official Video Song Karthi Lakshmi Menon, G.V. Prakash Kumar". Youtube. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Karthi's new film 'Komban' is a quickie". Sify. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- V. Lakshmi (1 June 2014). "Karthi, Lakshmi Menon team up for 'Komban'". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "GV Prakash starts composing for 'Komban'". Sify. 23 July 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- T. Saravanan (31 July 2014). "Cinema cinema!". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Ramachandran, Mythily (16 July 2014). "Dhanush back with 'Velai Illa Pattadhaari'". Gulf News. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Karthi's 'Komban' starts rolling". Moviecrow. 19 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Subramanian, Anupama (27 May 2014). "Will Sri Divya be cast opposite Karthi in 'Komban'?". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Subramanian, Anupama (4 June 2014). "Super Subbarayan turns villain for Karthi in his next". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Karthi's new film 'Komban' launched". Moviecrow. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Karthi's next to begin on June 18". The Times of India. 12 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Sivakumar for 'Komban'". Chennaionline. 19 June 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- Karthik, Janani (25 June 2014). "Karthi sports handlebar moustache for 'Komban". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Karthi to do it in one stretch". Behindwoods. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Karthi to resume Komban". Behindwoods. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "'Komban' gets his Music director". Indiaglitz. 24 July 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "GV-Shreya Ghoshal reunite after 4 years". The Times of India. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Ayudha Pooja 2015 Special Movies and Programs in Tamil Television Channels on October 21, 2015". Southupdates.in. 11 October 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- V.P, Nicy. "'Komban' Controversy: Judges Walk Out of Screening of Karthi Starrer Following Krishnaswamy's Protest". International Business Times, India Edition.
- "Caste and Kollywood: Another Tamil movie under fire". m.indiatoday.in.
- Gautaman Bhaskaran. "Same old Karthi in a show of sickle". The Hindustan Times. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Baradwaj Rangan. "Film review of Karthi starrer Komban". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Asokan Nirmalarajah. "Komban Review". Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Komban Review