Kommissar Hjuler (born 1967 in Detlev Hjuler) works as a sound recordist in the field of Noise and Post-industrial music, visual artist, film maker and police officer at Flensburg, a town on the German border with Denmark. He often works together with his wife Mama Baer as Kommissar Hjuler und Frau. As self-taught artist he began making music in 1999 and visual art in 2006. He is considered to work in the field of neo dada, whereas his output also contains elements of fluxus, art brut.
Kommissar Hjuler und Frau performed at several festivals like Colour out of Space Festival, Brighton, Zappanale, Incubate (festival) and at artists' venues like Morden Tower, Cafe Oto or Mary Bauermeister's performance space.
His visual art has been exhibited in solo and groups shows at locations like the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, Neues Museum Weserburg, Bremen, Museum Huelsmann, Bielefeld, Museum Brasileiro da Escultura, São Paulo and at several galleries. Selected art works are part of collections like Artpool Art Research Center, Avant Writing Collection by the Ohio State University, Fondazione Bonotto, the VAC Archive Northwich, the Jan van Eyck Academie, the Wolf Vostell Archive, and the ZKM Karlsruhe.
Short films by Kommissar Hjuler have been presented at European festivals like 12. Internationales Kurzfilmfestival Muenchen 2010, Vienna Independent Shorts 2011, Leeds International Film Festival 2011, and at Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago.
The German novelist Peter Rathke, who works under the pseudonym FOLTERGAUL, represented Kommissar Hjuler as a character at his novel Im Knast mit Kommissar Hjuler und Mama Baer.
Kommissar Hjuler shares albums with Family Fodder, Medium Medium, Jonathan Meese, Tim Berresheim, Conrad Schnitzler & Ken Montgomery, Thurston Moore, Franz Kamin, Antye Greie, Marc Hurtado, Nihilist Spasm Band, Jerome Noetinger, Derek Beaulieu, Family Fodder, Anna Homler & David Moss, Gianni-Emilio Simonetti, Ben Patterson, Morphogenesis, Smegma, Jaap Blonk, Anton G. Leitner, Karlheinz Essl, Andreas Lechner, Jo Kondo, Peter Weibel, John M. Bennett, Steve Dalachinsky & David Liebman, Gerhard Stäbler, Peter Ablinger, Sven-Åke Johansson, Hartmut Geerken, Pyrolator, Sabrina Benaim, Tonya Ingram, Daniel Menche, Alfred Harth, Magnús Pálsson, The Nihilist Spasm Band, David Lee Myers, Jerry Hunt, Philip Krumm, Dan Lander, Ditterich von Euler-Donnersperg, Emil Siemeister, Alexander Kibanov.
He collaborated with numerous artists including GX Jupitter-Larsen, Lasse Marhaug, Dino Felipe, Brume, Lt. Caramel, Anla Courtis, Andrew Liles, Dada Action Group, Steve Dalachinsky, Gianni-Emilio Simonetti, Hans-Joachim Hespos, Milan Knizak, Arnulf Meifert, The New Blockaders, Bryan Lewis Saunders, Rod Summers, Z'EV, John M. Bennett, Le Syndicat, Pacific 231, Wataru Kasahara, Jaan Patterson, Jan van Hasselt, Alig Fodder. Kommissar Hjuler und Frau performed with artists like Jan van den Dobbelsteen, Eugene Chadbourne, Clive Graham, Heather Leigh Murray, John Wiese and others.
As visual artist he collaborated with albrecht/d., Vittore Baroni, Keith A. Buchholz, Daniela Floersheim, Clayton Patterson, Barbara Rapp, Cornelius P. Rinne, Gianni-Emilio Simonetti, Litsa Spathi, Cecil Touchon, Roel Meelkop, Pieter Zandvliet, and others, especially for a project called BROTKATZE Collaborations.
For an art project called FLUXPORN he collaborated with pornographic actresses like Lena Nitro, Violet Storm, and others.
References and notes
- testcard no. 16 - Extremismus, Ventil Verlag, ISBN 978-3-931555-15-3, p 101-107
- Asylum Lunaticum, CD, (INT033), mentioned at The Wire (magazine)'s years review, issue 311, Jan. 2010, as one of the best 15 albums of the year 2009 in outsider music
- festival programs, catalogues and posters exist for all festivals
- August 2nd 2009, in a series of performances that previously featured John Cage, Nam June Paik, Jean Tinguely, Niki de Saint Phalle and Karlheinz Stockhausen
- program to exhibition Calling Out Of Contest, Nov. 2009
- catalogue by Gesellschaft für aktuelle Kunst GAK Bremen, to installation Three Resurrected Drunkards, Oct. 2010
- catalogue to exhibition Kunst im Quadrat, Feb-Sept. 2007, ISBN 3-9805831-8-X, also LP by Kommissar Hjuler and Mama Baer released by Museum for this exhibition as Ed. Huelsmann
- program of exhibition TROYART, Jan. 2011, Kommissar Hjuler's contribution is now part of public collection of the museum
- artlout:com magazine, Leipzig, 2009, issue 04:08
- program of festival
- program of festival
- Feb. 15th-20th 2011 at FluxFest, documented at websites of curators Keith A. Buchholz, Kommissar Hjuler mentioned on poster
- Im Knast mit Kommissar Hjuler und Mama Baer, P.Rathke Verlag, 2011 (ISBN 978-3-9804622-0-4), Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
- Article in November 2010 issue of The Wire (magazine), no. 321, page 18, review mentioned on front sleeve of issue, consisting mainly of an interview with Daniel Spicer, also an article by Thurston Moore and Byron Coley at Arthur (magazine) No. 25, Nov. 2006, releases rewiewed at numerous independent magazines worldwide, for example Bad Alchemy, issues 51, 54 and 59, and skug Magazine, March 26th 2010
- program Paulo Post Futurum [permanent dead link], Lokaal 01, Breda, November 3rd to 4th 2007, and to end all live, iLLUSEUM , Amsterdam, August 1st 2009, videos at youtube
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-22. Retrieved 2011-04-06.Musikpalast Flensburg,July 12th 2008, concert program[permanent dead link]
- January 19th 2008, at KKI Flensburg "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2011-04-06. , Tour dates John Wiese "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-30. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- work displayed at Innovationkongress  in Velden am Woerther See, November 11th and 12th 2010, Kommissar Hjuler presented at book Peter Graning/Ronald Ivancic/Martin Maitz/Cornelia Scala-Hausmann (Hrsg.), Zukunfstkraft, ISBN 978-3-7084-0411-0, several group shows of all the winners at Villach, for instance at Gallery D. U. Design , Villach,