|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
(as Konan Gakuen Middle School)|
1951 (Konan University opens)
Konan University (甲南大学 Kōnan Daigaku?) is a university located on the slopes of Rokko Mountain in Higashinada-ku, Kobe, Japan. A private university with approximately 10,000 students, the university offers a wide variety of programs to Japanese students, as well as an international exchange program through the Konan International Exchange Centre.
Konan University was founded in 1951. The university traces its origin back to 1919 when Konan Gaku-en Middle School was founded in Okamoto, Kobe, Japan. The formation of the school is based on the ideals of character building (personality development), physical fitness and respect for the individual. Konan University offers both undergraduate and graduate programs (Mater’s programs and Ph.D. programs). All programs are accredited by Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
Konan University has three campuses in Hyogo prefecture Japan, i.e., Okamoto Campus (the main campus), Nishinomiya Campus (Hirao School of Management) and the Port Island Campus (Science, Medicine & Engineering Research). Okamoto Campus is located on the eastern edge of Kobe City in Okamoto, a well-known residential area between Osaka and Kobe.
Seven faculties and one school provide undergraduate education.
- Faculty of Letters (Similar to a Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in North American universities)
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Intelligence and Informatics
- Faculty of Frontiers of Innovative Research in Science and Technology
- Hirao School of Management
Graduate education is provided by five schools.
- Graduate School of Humanities (Japanese Literature and Language, Applied Sociology, Human Sciences),
- Graduate School of Natural Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Information Science and Systems Engineering)
- Graduate School of Social Science (Economics, Management)
- Graduate School of Law
- Graduate School of Accounting
- QS University Rankings: Asia 2013: not included
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities 2014: (World Rank)2,574 (Country Rank)134
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, July 2012: (World Rank)2,553
- Ranked By: Total New Downloads, Last 12 months (Updated Monthly - Last Updated on: 08/01/2014)
- Konan University - Graduate School of Business and Accounting
- 885th among the SSRN Top 1,000 Business Schools
- 570th among the SSRN Top 1,000 International (Non-U.S.) Business Schools
- 5th among Business Schools in Japan (①Kobe U., ②Keio U., ③Hitotsubashi U., ④Hosei U., ⑤Konan U.)
- Ueno, Susumu: Representative Director of the Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Association (APMAA); Chief Editor of Asia Pacific Management Accounting Journal (APMAJ); The 2014 Japanese Association of Management Accounting Special Award Recipient
- Reiko Okutani, businesswoman
Konan offers a program for international students through the Konan International Exchange Centre or KIEC. This program runs from September through May for students from North America and Europe, and from January to December for students from Australia and New Zealand. Usually made up of between thirty and forty-five students, the program includes rigorous language study, Japanese Studies classes on various topics of Japanese culture, business, and society, and a homestay in which the student lives with a Japanese family. In previous years the homestay was a mandatory part of the program, however, due to increasing numbers of international students in the academic year 2008-2009, a dormitory option was made available for non-Illinois Consortium for International Studies and Programs students.
Konan offers exchange opportunities with the following universities:
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Lycée Konan - Japanese boarding school in France operated from 1991-2013 under the Konan Foundation