Kondapalli aerial view
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kondapalli is a census town in Krishna district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is located 4 km away from Ibrahimpatnam(town) mandal headquarters Ibrahimpatnam mandal under Vijayawada revenue division. It is located at 23 km from Vijayawada, on National Highway 30.
In 18th century, Kondapalli was known with the name, Mustafanagar.
The village is known for Kondapally Toys (Kondapalli bommalu). The toys are chiselled from local light softwoods (Tella Poniki) and painted with vegetable dyes, and vibrant enamel colours. They are made by local wooden and lay artisans. The most popular toys include Dasavatarams (ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu) elephants with Ambari, palanquin-bearers carrying the bride and bridegroom, toddy tapper, set of village craftsmen, as well as various animals. The papier mache swinging doll is a favourite with many.
Flora and fauna
Kondapalli is home to the Kondapalli Reserve Forest one of the last remaining pristine forests in the Krishna district, spread over an area of 30,000 acres (120 km2). It is home to several leopards, wild dogs, jackals, wild boar, and wolves with a varied topography.
Kondapalli is an industrial suburb of Vijayawada. It has one of the largest industrial estates (industrial parks) in Andhra Pradesh, spread over 450 acres (1.8 km2) and supporting over 800 industrial enterprises. Second largest wagon workshop of Indian Railways is present in Rayanapadu (Guntupalli) about 3 km from Kondapalli. In addition to a 1760 MW Vijayawada Thermal power project (VTPS) (The VTPS name has since been replaced by NTTPs) and 368.144 MW gas based Lanco power plant which is under expansion to 768.144 MW are located here. Andhra Pradesh Heavy Machinery & Engineering Limited (APHMEL) factory is present in Kondapalli. Kondapalli is hub for storage, bottling and transportation of petroleum products of all major companies. Major companies having a presence in Kondapalli include BPCL, GAIL, HPCL, IOC, Reliance Industries, and Lanco Infratech (Lagadapati Amarappa Naidu and Company Infratech).
Kondapalli railway station is located on Kazipet–Vijayawada section, administered under Vijayawada railway division of South Central Railway zone. NH 30 passes through the town, which connects Vijayawada APSRTC operates city buses from Vijayawada to Kondapalli.
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu.
- "Census 2011". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "District Census Handbook – Krishna" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 16–17, 48. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Krishna District Mandals" (PDF). Census of India. p. 526. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- Swarnalatha, P. (2005). The World of the Weaver in Northern Coromandel, C.1750-c.1850. Orient Blackswan. p. 11. ISBN 9788125028680.
- Somya, J. N.; Des, M. "Design Resources on Traditional Toys of Kondapalli The Craft of Wooden Toys". Visual Communication Industrial Design Centre (IDC), IIT Bombay. Archived from the original on 16 October 2012.
- Rao, G. V. Ramana (25 May 2006). "Presence of leopards, wild dogs detected in Krishna forests". The Hindu. Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original on 27 November 2007.
- "Wagon Workshop, Guntupalli". South Central Railway. Archived from the original on 15 January 2013.
- "'It is always better to spread your wings'". The Financial Express. 31 March 2008.
- "Overview of Kondapalli Station". indiarailinfo. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 December 2015. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education – Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kondapalli.|