|Directed by||A. Kodandarami Reddy|
|Produced by||T. Trivikrama Rao|
|Written by||Paruchuri Brothers (Dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Yandamuri Veerendranath|
|Story by||Paruchuri Brothers|
Rao Gopal Rao
|Cinematography||V. S. R. Swamy|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Distributed by||Vijayalakshmi Art Movies|
Kondaveeti Donga (English: The Thief of Kondaveedu) is a 1990 Telugu-language vigilante action film directed by A. Kodandarami Reddy starring Chiranjeevi, Vijayashanti and Radha in key roles. Upon release, the film received positive reviews, and emerged as a blockbuster. Subsequently, the film was dubbed into Tamil as Thangamalai Thirudan. The technically brilliant film was the first Telugu film to be released on a 70 mm with 6-Track Stereophonic sound. The production design by Bhaskar Raju, with background score, and music by Ilaiyaraaja received positive reviews. The film had collected a distributors share of ₹ 7.4 million on its opening weekend.
An orphan Kondaveeti Raja M.A.,L.L.B.,I.A.S. (Chiranjeevi) is raised through the support of people living in the tribal village of Kondaveedu. Upon his return from Hyderabad, he witnesses the failed legal system and the village being engulfed in political corruption, forgery, smuggling, money laundering, drug trafficking, land grabbing and alcohol abuse carried out by the local mafia and landlords (Sarabhoji (Rao Gopal Rao), Narasimham (Mohan Babu) and Khaadra (Amrish Puri)), who impose taxes on farmers. Instead of being in the system and taking the direct route as an administrator himself, he transforms into a Robin Hood for the village and indulges in swashbuckling heists of money and paddy worth several crores from the landlords while being in disguise, much to the frustration of corrupt officials. He funds the tribals into self-sustaining farmers, while providing food, irrigation, healthcare, shelter and education to the poor and transforms the village.
- Chiranjeevi as Kondaveeti Raja, a man raised by the tribals. He becomes Kondaveeti Donga (like Robin Hood) to fight the evil.
- Vijayashanti as Sri Lekha, an undercover police officer appointed to capture Kondaveeti Donga, who later becomes Raja's love interest.
- Radha Sri Kanya, a home surgeon serving in the tribal area of Kondaveedu. She is the first person to find out the truth about Kondaveeti Donga.
- Rao Gopal Rao as Sarabhoji, landlord
- Mohan Babu as Narasimham, landlord
- Amrish Puri as Khaadra and Yugandhar
- Sarada as Sambhavi
- Kaikala Satyanarayana as Das
- Nagendra Babu
- Allu Rama Lingaiah
- Kallu Chidambaram
- Chalapathi Rao
- Srividya as Justice Sandya
The soundtrack composed by Ilaiyaraaja was an instant chart buster. All songs remain popular to date.all songs written by Veturi
Telugu (original soundtrack)
All music composed by Ilaiyaraaja.
|1.||"Kola Kolamma"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:24|
|2.||"Subhalekha Rasukunna"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, K. S. Chitra||4:32|
|3.||"Chamaku Chamaku"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, K. S. Chitra||4:41|
|4.||"Tip Top"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:27|
|5.||"Jeevithame"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:06|
|6.||"Sri Anjaneyam"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:29|
|7.||"Devi Sambavi"||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||1:09|
- Connolly, Temple (28 August 2012). "Kondaveeti Donga".
- "Kondaveeti Donga". 12 September 2009.
- Correspondent, Special. "'Chiranjeevi should switch to comedy'".
- "Kondaveeti Donga". 9 March 1990 – via IMDb.
- TollySites - Kondaveeti Donga
- "nonstopcinema.com". Archived from the original on 11 January 2004.
- Reporter, Staff. "A multi-faceted actor".