Pazhayangadi Masjidh in Old Kondotty Street
|• Total||122.99 km2 (47.49 sq mi)|
|• Official Languages||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 10, KL 65|
Kondotty (Malayalam: കൊണ്ടോട്ടി) is a revenue village and municipality, and is also a developing town in the Malappuram district, state of Kerala, India which is located near Calicut International Airport, 24 km from Malappuram. Kondotty Taluk, with Kondotty as its headquarters, is declared as the seventh taluk in Malappuram district by chief minister Oommen Chandy on 23 December 2013.
Kondotty is famous for the Nercha (Malayalam for 'offering') in the Pazhayangadi Mosque. Kondotty is the birthplace of the Mappila poet, Moyinkutty Vaidyar, where there is a memorial dedicated to him. He popularised Mappilapattu (Mappila songs) by his poems on secular and romantic themes.,
- 1 History
- 2 Climate
- 3 Culture
- 4 Transport
- 5 Government Institutions, Offices and Service Centers
- 6 Education
- 7 Places of Interest
- 8 Nearby places
- 9 Image gallery
- 10 Location
- 11 See also
- 12 References
The history of Kondotty is connected with that of the 18th century Kondotty Thangals, the Sufi exponents. Tipu Sultan of Mysore brought the first Thangal Muhammad Shah, to make the Mappilas allies. The Thangal first resided at Areekode and later settled in Kondotty. When the British arrived, putting an end to the reign of Tipu Sultan, the Thangal realigned with the British. During the 1921 upsurge, the Mappila mob attacked the house of the seventh Thangal, Nasiruddin Shah.
The district has more or less the same climatic conditions prevalent else-where in the state dry season from December to February, hot season from March to May, and the South West Monsoon from October to November. The South West Monsoon is usually very heavy and during which nearly 75 percent of the annual rains are received. The climate is generally hot and humid; the range of temperature varying between 30oC and 20oC. The average annual rainfall is 290 mm.
Kondotty village is as predominantly Muslim populated area. Hindus exist in comparatively smaller numbers. So the culture of the locality is based upon Muslim traditions. Duff Muttu, Kolkali and Aravanamuttu are common folk arts of this locality. There are many libraries attached to mosques giving a rich source of Islamic studies. Some of the books are written in Arabi-Malayalam which is a version of the Malayalam language written in Arabic script. People gather in mosques for the evening prayer and continue to sit there after the prayers discussing social and cultural issues. Business and family issues are also sorted out during these evening meetings. The Hindu minority of this area keeps their rich traditions by celebrating various festivals in their temples. Hindu rituals are done here with a regular devotion like other parts of Kerala.
Calicut International Airport (also known as Karipur International Airport) is located about 3 km from the Town. Almost all international flights operating from the airport are to Middle East destinations targeting the large NRI population of north Kerala working in Middle East.
Feroke is the nearest railway stations.
Government Institutions, Offices and Service Centers
Government and Government aided institutions
- Kerala State Haj Committee ( Haj House ), Airport Road, Kondotty.
- District Panchayath Press,17th Mile, Kondotty.
- Mappila Kala Academy (Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smarakam), Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Block Panchayath Office, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Taluk Headquarters, Block Office Road, Kondotty.
- Assistant Educational Office, Pazhayangadi Street, Kondotty.
- Office of the Circle Inspector of Police, Main Road, Kondotty.
- Office of the Circle Inspector of Excise, 17th Mile, Kondotty.
- Sub Registrar Office, Kurupath Street, Kondotty.
Other Government administrative Offices
- ICDS Office, EMEA School Road, Thurakkal Street, Kondotty.
- Kondotty Munisipal Office, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
Citizen Service Centers
- Kondotty Akshaya e Kendra Akshaya project, Hilal Building, bypass road, Kondotty.
- BSNL Customer Service Centre, Telephone Exchange Building, Pandikkad Street, Kondotty.
- Sub Treasury office, kuruppath, Kondotty.
- (KSEB) Kondotty major section, kaloth, Kondotty.
Kondotty is an emerging education hub with lots of Government and Non-Government Schools, Colleges and other educational Institutions on its radius.
- Al Hidaya English medium school, thurakkal, kondotty
- Bukhari English School, 1 Mile, Kondotty
- E. M. E. A. Higher Secondary School, Thurakkal Street, Kondotty
- G.V.H.S.S, Kondotty, Melangadi Street, Kondotty
- Markazul Uloom Senior Secondary English School, Ekkaparamba, Kondotty
- Panakkad Pookoya Thangal Memorial Higher Secondary School ( P. P. M. H. S. S. ), Kottukkara Street, Kondotty
- E.M.E.A College of Arts and Science, ( Affiliated to Calicut University), Kumminiparamba, Kondotty .
- The University of Calicut is located 10 km from Kondotty at Thenjipalam. This is the only university in Malappuram district.
Places of Interest
Situated at Kondotty, this mosque is believed to date back to the 18th Century is also called as the Kondotty mosque. This mosque is dedicated to a Muslim Saint, Muhammad Shah popularly called as Kondotty Thangal.
Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smaraka
The Maha Kavi Moyinkutty Vaidyar Smaraka (Malayalam: മഹാ കവി മോയി൯കുട്ടി വൈദ്യ൪ സ്മാരകം) is a memorial building dedicated to Moyinkutty Vaidyar(1852–1892), often referred to as Mahakavi (great poet), is historically considered as one of the most renowned poets of the Mappila pattu genre of Malayalam language. File:Vaidyar.JPG
Kondotty Nercha is a week-long festival held every year at Kondotty Qubba, which contains the tomb of the first Thangal, Muhammad Shah. Thousands of devotees attend the Nercha, which consists of certain religious processions. A very elaborate village fair is also arranged during the festival. The festival is organized by Sunni Muslims and Hindus jointly. Certain small Muslim groups of the area like the Salafis boycott the festival because they don't believe in Dargahs.
Mini Ooty is a tourist site in Arimbra Hills about 10 kilometer from Kondotty. It is at a height of 1000 feet above sea level. Mini Ooty attracts large number of visitors because of its rolling hills and scenic views. The location got the name as it resembles Ooty, one of the famous hill stations in India. There are many stone crushers and plantations atop the hill. There is an old Harijan Colony on the western side of the hill.
Poyilikkave Karinkali Temple
Poyilikkave Karinkali Temple is a very ancient temple in Nediyiruppu and constructed during Zamorins period. The headquarter of Zamorins was at Nediyiruppu Swaroopam and connected to that this temple was very important. Worshiping Goddess Karinkali devi and thalapoli festival is very important temple ceremony in December month of every year.
- Masjidul Fathah, Kondotty Town
- Ayyappa Subramanya Shiva Temple, Pathinezham Mile
- Masjidhul Ihsan, Old Kondotty Road
- Kaloth Hills, Areacode Road
- Areekode, Arimbra Hills, Cheekkode and Cherukavu
- Edavannappara, Elamaram, Kavanoor and Kinaradappan
- Kizhuparamba, Kondotty, Kottupadam, Kuzhimanna and Kizhissery
- Morayur, Muthuvallur, Nediyiruppu, Omanoor and Perakamanna
- Peruvallur, Pulikkal, Thiruthiyad, Urangattiri, Vazhakkad and Vazhayur
- Vettilappara and Vilayil
- Neerad, Muthuvalloor Post
- Corporations, municipalities and taluks of Kerala
- "Kondotty Mosque", Travel Marg website, 18 February 2013
- Official website
- "Pazhayangadi Mosque", Kerala.me website, 18 February 2013
- "Mappila songs cultural fountains of a bygone age, says MT". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2009-08-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kondotty.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kondotty.|