Kongorong, South Australia
Kongorong memorial gates
|Population||193 (2016 census)|
|Established||30 March 1922 (town)|
31 October 1996 (locality)
|LGA(s)||District Council of Grant|
|State electorate(s)||Mount Gambier |
Kongorong is a locality in the Australian state of South Australia located southwest of Mount Gambier. It has an Australian rules football team and netball team. Kongorong Primary School had 61 students in 2010.
Kongorong was officially named by the South Australian Government on 30 March 1922 for the cadastral land division in which the township lay, the Hundred of Kongorong. Kongorong is thought to mean "the corner of it" in an indigenous language.
Kongorong is a service town for the surrounding community involved in dairy and sheep farming, timber plantations, and grape growing in the Mount Gambier wine region.
- "Search results for 'Kongorong, LOCB' with the following datasets being selected - 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Counties', 'Government towns', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Kongorong". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- Bice, John G. (30 March 1922). "TOWN OF KONGORONG" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 943. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991, Notice to Assign Boundaries and Names to Places" (PDF), The South Australian Government Gazette: 1517, 31 October 1996, retrieved 17 April 2018
- "Placename Details: Kongorong". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. 4 March 2010. SA0015112. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Limestone Coast SA Government region" (PDF). The Government of South Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "District of Mount Gambier Background Profile". Electoral Commission SA. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Federal electoral division of Barker" (PDF). Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- "Monthly climate statistics: Summary statistics Mount Gambier Aero (nearest weather station)". Commonwealth of Australia , Bureau of Meteorology. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Kongorong Primary & CPC". Department for Education and Child Development. 19 October 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Placename Details: Hundred of Kongorong". Property Location Browser Report. Government of South Australia. 29 January 2009. SA0037333. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
Aboriginal taken from D Black's station in 1846 - meaning 'the corner of it'. Area 91 square miles.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|