Type of site
|Online gaming website (Social Network)|
|Registration||Free, not required (however, some features are disabled); Paid membership optional|
|Launched||October 10, 2006|
In game currency ("Kreds")
|Global Rank 1,414 (May 2015[update])|
Kongregate was released on October 1, 2006 by siblings Emily and Jim Greer into an alpha testing phase, which lasted until December 2006. During this time, game developers and players tested the site's interface and functionality. In December of the same year, the site was formally opened to the public. The site formally entered the beta testing phase on March 22, 2007. As of July 2008, Kongregate had raised around $9 million in capital from investments by Reid Hoffman, Jeff Clavier, Jeff Bezos, and Greylock Partners.
On July 23, 2010, GameStop announced an agreement to acquire Kongregate. Because of Gamestop's purchase of Kongregate, developers who work through Kongregate can have their content promoted to people who shop at a GameStop store. Kongregate also provides a way for creators of games on Facebook to expand their potential audience.
In early 2013, Kongregate announced a $10 million fund devoted to mobile gaming. The new mobile division is led by former Zynga executive Pany Haritatos. A few years ago, Kongpanions were released for the site, acting as a trophy system and metagame in the form of small creatures, whether animals or personified objects. The Kongpanions players collected can then be used in some games on the site.
- "Kongregate: a Next Generation Web Games Marketplace". techcrunch.com. 2006-10-19. Retrieved 2014-03-08.
- "Kongregate.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- "GameStop Corp.: NYSE:GME quotes & news - Google Finance". Google.com. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Baertlein, Lisa (2007-03-22). "New site aims to be the YouTube of gaming". Reuters Life! (Thomson Reuters). Retrieved 2011-04-19.
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall (2006-10-19). "Kongregate: a Next Generation awesome site Web Games Marketplace". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Wilson, Matt (2006-12-20). "Kongregate: Your Gatorade For Flash Games". Solution Watch. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Greer, Jim (2006-09-01). "Gamers asking for Kongregate!". Jim on Web Games. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Nicole, Kristen (2007-03-22). "Kongregate Announces Funding, Launches". Mashable Social Networking News. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- Marshall, Matt (2007-03-21). "Kongregrate, the online social game hub". Venture Beat. Retrieved 2007-03-23.
- GameStop (2010-07-27). "GameStop Announces Agreement to Acquire Kongregate Inc.". BusinessWire. Retrieved 2011-03-04.
- "Company Overview of Kongregate, Inc.". Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Facebook Developers Page".
- "Kongregate Announces First Mobile Games". July 1, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Kongregate launches $10M mobile games fund". February 4, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Other Work". Retrieved February 21, 2014.