Kongsvoll (Kongsvold Fjeldstue) is a historic mountain lodge built on the site of a former inn located in the Drivdalen valley in the municipality of Oppdal in Trøndelag county, Norway. The original inn dated to the 12th century. The oldest buildings of the present mountain lodge date from the 18th century.
Kongsvold Fjeldstue is located along the Pilgrim´s Route (Pilegrimsleden) and Old Kings' Road (Kongeveien) between the cities of Oslo and Trondheim. During his reign, King Eystein I of Norway ordered the construction of mountain stations (fjellstue) along the route that pilgrims followed in visiting the shrine of St. Olav in Trondheim. These stations, including Kongsvoll, were inns where pilgrims crossing the mountain passes could find food and shelter. This one was built along the Driva river in Oppdal.
The oldest buildings presently at the site date from 1720. The original inn was located about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from where the lodge is now located. In 1701, a landslide damaged the inn. This resulted in a decision to move Kongsvold to the current location. In 1712, construction of the new Kongsvold lodge was started, but during the Great Northern War, Kongsvold and the other mountain lodges in the Dovre Region were burned. Reconstruction of the lodge began in 1720.
During the period 1979 - 1990, there was major restoration work completed on the historic lodge. The lodge has an exhibition about the history of the area and a collection of historical artifacts from the operation of the former inn. The Kongsvoll railway station is located 500 metres (1,600 ft) from Kongsvoll.
- "Kongsvold Fjeldstue". Den Norske Turistforening & NRK.
- "Kongsvold Mountain Lodge". St. Olav Way National Pilgrim Center.
- "Kongsvold Fjeldstue". midtnorsknatur.no.
- Stagg, Frank Noel (1953). The Heart of Norway. George Allen & Unwin, Ltd.
- Welle-Strand, Erling (1996). Adventure Roads in Norway. Nortrabooks. ISBN 978-82-90103-71-7.
- "Historikk, Ferdsel over fjellet". Kongsvold Fjeldstue. Archived from the original on 2015-04-30.
- "Kongsvold Fjeldstue". Oppdal Turistkontor.
- Hansen, Knut Ingar (1997). Pilegrimsgang til Nidaros (in Norwegian). Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag. ISBN 9788247800287.
- Kollandsrud, Mari (1997). Pilgrimsleden til Nidaros (in Norwegian). Oslo: Gyldendal Norsk Forlag. ISBN 9788205247864.
- Luthen, Eivind (1992). I pilegrimenes fotspor til Nidaros (in Norwegian). Oslo: Cappelen Damm AS. ISBN 9788202132491.
- Sandberg, Cecilie Christina (2010). En smak av Norge (in Norwegian). Oslo: Schibsted forlag. ISBN 9788251626880.
- Severud, Jon (2010). Ferdaminne av A.O.Vinje – Ei gjenreise (in Norwegian). Oslo: Det Norske Samlaget. ISBN 9788252173925.
- Weber, Birthe (2007). Vesle Hjerkinn – Kongens gård og sælehus (in Norwegian). Oslo: Universitetetets kulturhistoriske museer. ISBN 9788280840394.
|This article about a Norwegian hotel or resort is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|