Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki (今昔画図続百鬼, "The Illustrated One Hundred Demons from the Present and the Past") is the second book of Japanese artist Toriyama Sekien's famous Gazu Hyakki Yagyō tetralogy, published ca. 1779. A version of the tetralogy translated and annotated in English was published in 2016. These books are supernatural bestiaries, collections of ghosts, spirits, spooks, and monsters, many of which Toriyama based on literature, folklore, other artwork. These works have had a profound influence on subsequent yōkai imagery in Japan. Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki is preceded in the series by Gazu Hyakki Yagyō, and succeeded by Konjaku Hyakki Shūi and Gazu Hyakki Tsurezure Bukuro.
List of creatures
The three volumes were titled 雨, 晦, and 明. From this book, Toriyama added captions.
First Volume - 雨
Second Volume - 晦
Third Volume - 明
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki.|
- Yoda, Hiroko; Alt, Matt (2016). Japandemonium Illustrated: The Yokai Encyclopedias of Toriyama Sekien. Dover Publications. ISBN 978-0-486-80035-6.
- Toriyama, Sekien (2005). Toriyama Sekien Gazu Hyakki Yagyō Zen Gashū (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. ISBN 978-4-04-405101-3.
- Natsuhiko Kyogoku and Katsumi Tada (ja:多田克己) (2000). Yōkai Zukan (in Japanese). Kokusho Kankokai (ja:国書刊行会). ISBN 978-4-336-04187-6.
- Kon-jaku ezu zoku hyakki (in Japanese)
- Yōkai Taikan (in Japanese)
- Hyakki Yagyō: Mae Kōjō (in Japanese)
|This article about an art-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|