Kosachev in 2018
|Chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Federation Council|
|Assumed office |
25 December 2015
|Senator from Mari El|
|Assumed office |
21 September 2015
|Head of Rossotrudnichestvo|
5 March 2012 – 22 December 2014
|Born||17 September 1962|
Moscow Oblast, USSR
|Political party||United Russia|
Konstantin Kosachev (Russian: Константин Косачев; born 17 September 1962) is a Russian politician and diplomat. He is senator at the Federation Council (Russian parliament's upper house) and chairs its Foreign Affairs Committee.
After graduating from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, Kosachev was a diplomat at the Russian Embassy in Sweden. He was elected to the State Duma in 1999. He was appointed head of Rossotrudnichestvo in 2012. In December 2014, he became a member of the Federation Council.
Early life and education
Konstantin Kosachev was born in the Pushkin district of Moscow Oblast on 17 September 1962 to Nina G. and Joseph Artemyevitch Kosachev, a diplomat who worked in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR. He lived in Sweden eight years and attended school there. He later studied in Moscow, graduating in 1979.
In 1984, Kosachev graduated from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations. He is fluent in Swedish and English. As a translator, Kosachev worked in various diplomatic posts in the central and foreign offices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the USSR and Russia. In 1991 he graduated from training at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Kosachev became First Secretary of Russian Embassy in Sweden in 1991. He was named advisor to the embassy in 1994. Kosachev participated in several international conferences on European security and disarmament. He was part of an advisory group to the Russia's Minister of Foreign Affairs. He was also deputy director of the 2nd European Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry, in charge of implementing Russian foreign policy in the Nordic area.
From May 1998 Kosachev was first an adviser, then an assistant for international affairs to the Prime Minister (under Sergey Kiriyenko, Yevgeny Primakov, and Sergei Stepashin). He also served as Secretariat of the Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation.
State Duma deputy
From 19 December 1999 to December 2003, Kosachev was a deputy of the 3rd State Duma of the Russian Federation, the first deputy head of the Fatherland – All Russia political faction, and deputy chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee. Kosachev was a member of the Commissions to assist the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in overcoming the consequences of the NATO bombing, to implement the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty between the Russian Federation, the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) and to conclude a new treaty on further reduction and limitation of strategic offensive arms (New START).
In 2003, Kosachev defended his Ph.D. thesis on "The concept of development of international law in the fight against nuclear terrorism" at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
From 2003 to 2007, Kosachev was deputy of the 4th State Duma of the Russian Federation and part of the United Russia party. He served as Chairman of the State Duma Foreign Affairs Committee. In 2005, Kosachev wrote an article entitled "Why Would a Bear Need Wings", challenging then-Chairman of the State Duma Boris Gryzlov's position that the United Russia party did not need working groups.
On 2 December 2007, he was elected deputy of the 5th State Duma of the Russian Federation and continued to chair the State Duma Foreign Affairs Committee.
On 4 December 2011, Kosachev was elected deputy of the 6th State Duma of the Russian Federation. He was elected Deputy Chairman of the State Duma Foreign Affairs Committee.
On 5 March 2012, Vladimir Putin appointed Kosachev head of Rossotrudnichestvo, the Federal Agency for the Commonwealth of Independent States, Compatriots Living Abroad and International Humanitarian Cooperation and the Russian President's Special Envoy for Relations with CIS Member-States.
On 18 December 2014, Kosachev was appointed Federation Council representative by the heads of the Chuvash Republic. A week later, on 25 December 2014, he was elected Chairman of the Federation Council Committee on International Affairs.
Kosachev was included in the sanctions list of individuals and entities adopted the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine.
Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
Kosachev headed the State Duma's delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) from 2004 to 2012. He served as vice-speaker of PACE and coordinated a Deputy group for relations with the Swedish Parliament. When considering the 2006 resolution condemning communist regimes, Kosachev declared it inadmissible to equate communism and Nazism: "It is impossible to equate the communist ideology and the ideology of Nazism".
In June 2010, Kosachev wrote an article for the Echo of Moscow website proposing that the Russian Federation devise set of principles or a historical doctrine whereby it could disclaim any financial, legal, political or moral responsibility for USSR's actions in former territories while still acting as a successor state.
On 26 November 2010, on Voice of Russia, Kosachev called for the reunification of North and South Korea, where the North Korean leaders would receive guarantees of personal safety for themselves and their families.
In November 2011, he expressed the view that the European Monetary Union (euro zone) leave Greece, Hungary, Portugal, Ireland, Spain, Italy and Latvia, because these countries have a huge government debt. At that time, neither Latvia nor Hungary is not part of the Eurozone.
Kosachev opposes Russian ratification of Article 20 of the United Nations Convention against Corruption. He believes that the 20th article contradicts Article 49 of the Constitution of the Russian Federation and could deprive millions of Russian citizens of the presumption of innocence.
Awards and honors
- Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" 4th degree (20 April 2006) - for active participation in legislative work and many years of diligent work
- Order of Honour (7 December 2012) - for his great contribution to the preservation, promotion and development of Russian culture, education and the Russian language abroad
- Order of Friendship (21 January 2003) - for strengthening the rule of law, active legislative activity, and many years of diligent work
- Commander of the Order of the Polar Star (Sweden, 2004).
- Order of Friendship (South Ossetia, 17 October 2009) - for his great contribution to the maintenance of peace and stability in the Caucasus, strengthening of inter-parliamentary relations and active in championing the interests of the Republic of South Ossetia in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe
- Medal of the Order "For Services to the Chuvash Republic" (10 March 2012) - for long-term work to defend the interests of the Chuvash Republic in the State Duma
- Honorary Doctor of Chuvash State University (28 March 2007)
- Honorary Doctor of the Institute of International Law and Economics. Griboyedov (2008)
- Samara Cross (Bulgarian Public Council)
- Order of Honour (South Ossetia, 14 April 2016)
- Envoy Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Class 2 (29 September 1999)
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary (1 December 2009)
- Acting State Advisor of the Russian Federation, Class 2 (25 January 1999)
Kosachev is a member of the Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund's Management Board.
- Александр Колесниченко. Константин Косачев: «Радуюсь, если никого не подстрелил». «Новые известия», 28.04.2006.
- Ирина Вьюнова. Отличник Константин, «Профиль», № 8(375), 01.03.2004.
- Лицом к лицу. Константин Косачев. — Радио Свобода, 06.04.2003.
- "Dr. Konstantin Kosachev, Head of Rossotrudnichestvo". Russian Center of Science and Culture in Trivandrum. Archived from the original on 16 January 2017. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Косачев, Константин". Lenta.ru. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- Косачев, К. И. (2003). "Концепция развития международного права в области борьбы с ядерным терроризмом" (автореферат дис. канд. юридических наук. Специальность 12.00.10 — Международное право; Европейское право) (Из фондов Российской государственной библиотеки ed.). p. 24.
- Herpen, Marcel H. Van (2015). Putin's Wars: The Rise of Russia's New Imperialism (2nd ed.). Rowman & Littlefield. p. 115. ISBN 978-1-4422-5359-9.
- Дмитрий Медведев назначил Константина Косачева руководителем Россотрудничества и спецпредставителем Президента по делам СНГ.
- Косачев делегирован в Совфед сенатором от Чувашии. 22 декабря 2014. ТАСС
- Реакция российских политиков и общественных деятелей на расширение украинских санкций. 16 сентября 2015, ТАСС
- "Константин Косачев назначен сенатором от Марий Эл". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Ukraine-/Russia-related Designations and Identification Update". United States Department of the Treasury. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- "США ввели санкции против семи российских олигархов и 17 чиновников из "кремлевского списка"" [The US imposed sanctions against seven Russian oligarchs and 17 officials from the "Kremlin list"]. Meduza (in Russian). 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2018-04-06.
- Новости NEWSru.com :: ПАСЕ приняла резолюцию, осуждающую коммунистические режимы.
- Torbakov, Igor (2014). "History, Memory and National Identity". Russian Nationalism, Foreign Policy and Identity Debates in Putin's Russia: New Ideological Patterns after the Orange Revolution. Columbia University Press. pp. 41–42. ISBN 978-3-8382-6325-0.
- Torbakov, Igor (2015). "The Past as Present: Foreign Relations and Russia's Politics of History". After the Soviet Empire: Legacies and Pathways. BRILL. p. 376. ISBN 978-90-04-29145-4.
- Урегулирование корейского конфликта, перспективы взаимодействия России с НАТО и европейскими партнерами.
- "К. Косачев: Ряд государств выйдет из еврозоны из-за кризиса". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Russia reacts after Flynn resigns as national security adviser". CBS News. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 20 апреля 2006 года № 381 "О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации"". Archived from the original on 2006-05-24. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 7 декабря 2012 года № 1620 "О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации"". Archived from the original on 2015-11-24. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 21 января 2003 года № 64 «О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации».
- Косачеву вручат шведский орден Полярной звезды.
- Указ Президента Республики Южная Осетия «О награждении орденом Дружбы Косачева К. И.»[permanent dead link]
- Сообщение о награждении К. Косачёва медалью ордена «За заслуги перед Чувашской Республикой» на ИА REGNUM.
- Пресс-релиз к мероприятию, посвященному присвоению К. Косачеву звания «Почётный доктор Чувашского госуниверситета имени И. Н. Ульянова».
- Актовый день: ИМПЭ — 15 лет!
- "Посол Болгарии в России Бойко Коцев вручил Константину Косачеву "Самарский крест"". Archived from the original on 2016-09-17. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "Леонид Тибилов: Мы гордимся добрыми, дружескими взаимоотношениями с Россией". Информационное агентство Рес. 2016-04-14. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 29 сентября 1999 года № 1309 «О присвоении дипломатических рангов»
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 1 декабря 2009 года № 1369 «О присвоении Косачеву К. И. дипломатического ранга Чрезвычайного и Полномочного Посла»
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 25 января 1999 года № 123 «О присвоении квалификационных разрядов федеральным государственным служащим Аппарата Правительства Российской Федерации».
- "Konstantin Kosachev was re-elected for the position of the head of the Committee for Foreign Affairs of the Federation Council". The Alexander Gorchakov Public Diplomacy Fund. Archived from the original on 16 January 2017. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- Kosachev, Konstantin (28 November 2007). "Russia Right to Suspend CFE Treaty". Russia Beyond The Headlines.
- Kosachev, Konstantin (24 October 2014). "The world is entering an era of practical multipolarity". Russia Beyond The Headlines.
- Kosachev, Konstantin (26 April 2015). "Russia and the U.S. 70 years after Allied victory in WWII". The Washington Times.
- Articles by Kosachev in Russia in Global Affairs