|Institution||University of Chicago, National Research University – Higher School of Economics|
|Field||Political economy, Development economics, Economic theory|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Awards||GDN Research Medal (2004)|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Konstantin Sonin is a prominent Russian economist. He is a professor at the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy, visiting professor at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, research fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR), London, and an associate research fellow at the Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics. In recognition for his outstanding research in the field of political economy, in December 2015, he was named the John Dewey Distinguished Service Professor of the University of Chicago.
Sonin is the co-founder of the joint HSE-NES Bachelor of Arts Program. Until December 2014, Sonin was vice-rector at the Higher School of Economics, but was forced to resign for political reasons. Until August 2013, he was professor of Economics and vice rector at the New Economic School. His primary research interests are in political economics, development economics, and economic theory.
He has been published in leading academic journals in economics and political science, such as American Economic Review, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Econometrica, Review of Economic Studies, and others.
Sonin is a columnist for Vedomosti (in Russian) and The Moscow Times (until 2017). He contributes to major international and Russian media outlets. He is the author of "Sonin.ru: Lessons of Economics" (in Russian), a book aimed to a wide audience. In 2019, a new edition of the book was published, titled "When the Oil Runs Out and Other Economics Lessons" (in Russian).
Sonin was born in Moscow. He received his MSc in 1995, and PhD from Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics of Moscow State University in 1998. In 2000–01, Konstantin was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Davis Center for Russian studies at Harvard. In 2001, he joined New Economic School as an Assistant Professor and in 2009 received tenure as a full Professor of Economics. In 2011–13, he was Vice Rector at New Economic School. As of August 2013, he is Professor of Economics at the Higher School of Economics. In August 2013 - December 2014, he was Vice Rector at the Higher School of Economics. Sonin is a co-founder of the joint HSE-NES Bachelor of Arts Program.
In 2004–2005, he was a member at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, USA. In September 2009 – March 2010 he worked as a Visiting Professor of Managerial Economics and Decision Sciences at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. In May 2014 Konstantin was a visiting scholar in Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics at the University of Chicago.
Awards and memberships
- Member of the Science Council of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (2013 - 2017)
- Prime-Minister Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research, 2012
- Research Medal of the Global Development Network, 2004 (1st), 2006, 2009 (2nd)
- B. L. Ovsievich Memorial Prize, 2009 (2nd)
- Award for a Best Economist of the Russian Academy of Science, 2002, 2003
Other affiliations and memberships
- Research Director of the Center for Advanced Study at Higher School of Economics,
- Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition, member of the Scientific Advisory Board
- Kiev School of Economics, member of the International Advisory Board
- Center for Economic Policy Research, London, UK, Research Fellow
- Journal of the European Economic Association, Associate Editor (till 2017)
- European Journal of Political Economy, member of the Editorial Board (till 2017)
- Journal of Comparative Economics, member of the Editorial Board (till 2017)
- Sonin, Konstantin (December 2003). "Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights" (PDF). Journal of Comparative Economics. 31 (4): 715–731. doi:10.1016/j.jce.2003.09.005. SSRN 386102. Pdf.
- Reprinted as: Sonin, Konstantin (2008), "Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights", in Henrekson, Magnus; Douhan, Robin (eds.), The political economy of entrepreneurship, The International Library of Entrepreneurship Series, Cheltenham, UK Northampton, Massachusetts: Edward Elgar, ISBN 9781845421878.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Acemoglu, Daron; Egorov, Georgy (October 2008). "Coalition formation in non-democracies". The Review of Economic Studies. 75 (4): 987–1009. doi:10.1111/j.1467-937X.2008.00503.x. SSRN 386102.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Guriev, Sergei; Egorov, Georgy (November 2009). "Why resource-poor dictators allow freer media: a theory and evidence from panel data". The Review of Economic Studies. 103 (4): 645–668. doi:10.1017/S0003055409990219. JSTOR 27798530. SSRN 898888.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Guriev, Sergei; Kolotilin, Anton (August 2011). "Determinants of nationalization in the oil Sector: a theory and evidence from panel data". Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. 27 (2): 301–323. doi:10.1093/jleo/ewp011. SSRN 1103019.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Egorov, Georgy (October 2011). "Dictators and their viziers: endogenizing the loyalty-competence trade-off". Journal of the European Economic Association. 9 (5): 903–930. doi:10.1111/j.1542-4774.2011.01033.x. SSRN 630503.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Enikolopov, Ruben; Korovkin, Vasily; Petrova, Maria; Zakharov, Alexei (8 January 2013). "Field experiment estimate of electoral fraud in Russian parliamentary elections". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 110 (2): 448–452. doi:10.1073/pnas.1206770110. PMC 3545790. PMID 23267093. SSRN 2193638.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Acemoglu, Daron; Egorov, Georgy (May 2013). "A political theory of populism" (PDF). Quarterly Journal of Economics. 128 (2): 771–805. doi:10.1093/qje/qjs077.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Gehlbach, Scott (October 2014). "Government control of the media". Journal of Public Economics. 118 (C): 163–171. doi:10.1016/j.jpubeco.2014.06.004. SSRN 1315882.
- Sonin, Konstantin; Acemoglu, Daron; Egorov, Georgy (October 2015). "Political economy in a changing world" (PDF). Journal of Political Economy. 123 (5): 1038–1086. doi:10.1086/682679. JSTOR 10.1086/682679. SSRN 2281557. Pdf via NBER.
- "Home page". hhs.se. Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics.
- "Konstantin Sonin Named John Dewey Distinguished Service Professor". harris.uchicago.edu. University of Chicago.
- "Putin and his New Year's resolutions". The New York Times. The New York Times Company.
- "Konstantin Sonin's Homepage". nes.ru. New Economic School.
- "Konstantin Sonin (profile)". The Economist. The Economist Group. Archived from the original on 11 October 2014.
- "Faculty". kellogg.northwestern.edu. Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University.
- "Scholars". bfi.uchicago.edu. Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics.
- "Konstantin Sonin Joins Chicago Harris Faculty". harris.uchicago.edu. University of Chicago.
- "Home page". cas.hse.ru. Center for Advanced Study at Higher School of Economics.
- "Home page". cepr.org. Center for Economic Policy Research. Archived from the original on March 2, 2006.
- "Journal of the European Economic Association: editorial board". European Economic Association. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- European Journal of Political Economy: editorial board. Elsevier. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "Journal of Comparative Economics: editorial board". Elsevier. Retrieved 14 February 2016.