Mavropanos with Arsenal in 2018
|Full name||Konstantinos Mavropanos|
|Date of birth||11 December 1997|
|Place of birth||Athens, Greece|
|Height||1.94 m (6 ft 4 in)|
(on loan from Arsenal)
|2020||→ 1. FC Nürnberg (loan)||11||(0)|
|2020–||→ VfB Stuttgart (loan)||13||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 16:28, 23 January 2021 (UTC).|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 21:39, 22 March 2018 (UTC)
Konstantinos Mavropanos (Greek: Κωνσταντίνος Μαυροπάνος; born 11 December 1997) is a Greek professional footballer who plays as a centre back for Bundesliga club VfB Stuttgart, on loan from Arsenal, and the Greece U21 national team.
Born in Athens, Mavropanos began his career with the youth side at Apollon Smyrnis where he stayed for eight years. He then joined Super League side PAS Giannina in January 2016, signing a three-and-a-half-year contract. Mavropanos made his competitive debut for PAS Giannina in the Greek Cup on 29 November 2016. He started and played the full match as PAS Giannina won 1–0.
Mavropanos made his league debut for PAS Giannina on 5 April 2017 against Veria. He started and played 57 minutes as PAS Giannina lost 3–0. He scored his first goal for the club on 19 August 2017 during the first league match of the season against Asteras Tripolis. His 19th-minute goal would be winner in a 2–1 victory. Mavropanos was then voted man of the match in PAS Giannina's draw against ΑΕΚ Athens a week later on 27 August.
Mavropanos made 23 times in all competitions for PAS Giannina, scoring three goals.
On 4 January 2018, Mavropanos signed for Premier League side Arsenal. On 15 January, Mavropanos helped Arsenal U-23 beat Manchester United's reserves 4–0 at home, playing the entire 90 minutes. On 2 February, Mavropanos was added to the Europa League squad for the knockout phase. On 29 April, Mavropanos made his Premier League debut in a 2–1 defeat against Manchester United at Old Trafford. His performance was praised by both fans and pundits. He made his home debut in the club's next match against Burnley. That match was also the final home game under manager Arsène Wenger, with Mavropanos keeping his first clean sheet as the team won 5–0. He also played in the following game away against Leicester City, but was sent off after 15 minutes to conclude his first season at Arsenal.
At the beginning of October 2018, Mavropanos suffered a groin injury and was ruled out until mid-December. On 15 January 2019, he returned to competitive action after nearly four months, playing 70 minutes of the U23s' 5–1 win over Manchester City. On 3 February 2019, he made his 2018–19 season debut as a substitute for Shkodran Mustafi in a 3–1 away loss against champions Manchester City. On 12 May 2019, on the last matchday of the season, Mavropanos was partnered with Shkodran Mustafi at centre-back, but was replaced by Laurent Koscielny after half an hour due to injury in a 3–1 away win against Burnley.
Nürnberg (On Loan)
On 13 January 2020, after struggling for match time at Arsenal, Mavropanos moved to 2. Bundesliga club 1. FC Nürnberg on loan for the remainder of the 2019–20 season, and the Greek international had been picking up momentum in the heart of the Nuremberg defence with three stellar performances in a row. He won consecutive Man of the Match awards in his second and third game for the club, before making a key goalline clearance in his fourth. On 25 February 2020, Mavropanos picked up an injury playing against Darmstadt 98, but the club didn't know the exact length of his absence.
Stuttgart (On Loan)
On 16 July 2020, Mavropanos signed a new deal with Arsenal and joined VfB Stuttgart on loan for the 2020–21 season, reuniting with Sven Mislintat who had originally scouted and signed the player for Arsenal. On 3 October 2020, Mavropanos made his competitive debut for Stuttgart and in the Bundesliga against Bayer Leverkusen, the game ended in a 1-1 draw. On 15 October 2020, Mavropanos suffered the injury during a friendly with SC Freiburg and must undergo an operation on his meniscus in the coming days, presumably facing a lengthy layoff.
- As of match played 6 March 2021
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Continental||Total|
|PAS Giannina||2016–17||Superleague Greece||2||0||2||0||—||0||0||4||0|
|PAS Giannina total||16||3||4||0||—||0||0||20||3|
- "2018/19 Premier League squads confirmed". Premier League. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Konstantinos Mavropanos: Overview". Premier League. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Konstantinos Mavropanos". Arsenal F.C.
- Mountney, Dan; Yousif, Layth (3 January 2018). "Arsenal chief scout tells Wenger to sign £2m Greek starlet Konstantinos Mavropanos". Islington Gazette. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Κωνσταντίνος Μαυροπάνος: Το νέο διαμάντι του ΠΑΣ Γιάννινα". Gazzetta. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Wheatley, Chris (4 January 2018). "Who Is Arsenal Signing Mavropanos? Meet Greece's Next Big Defender". Goal.com. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Agrotikos 0–1 PAS Giannina". Soccerway.
- "Veria 3–0 PAS Giannina". Soccerway.
- "Asteras 1–2 PAS Giannina". Soccerway.
- "Konstantinos Mavropanos joins the club". Arsenal Club. 4 January 2018. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Park, Layth Yousif at Meadow. "Arsenal U23 4–0 Manchester United U23: PLAYER RATINGS – Eddie Nketiah grabs brace and Konstantinos Mavropanos makes first start as junior Gunners impress". Islington Gazette. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "Arsenal include shock name in Europa League squad: You'll never guess who Wenger picked". Daily Express. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Mavropanos makes his debut: Man Utd V Arsenal teams". 29 April 2018. Retrieved 29 April 2018.
- "Arsenal lost at Man United but debutant Mavropanos earns 8/10". 29 April 2018. Retrieved 30 April 2018.
- "Arsenal 5–0 Burnley". 6 May 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- "Arsenal: Good thing Konstantinos Mavropanos got that out of the way". 9 May 2018. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
- "Injury Update: Petr may be better in a month". 2 October 2018. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "Man City 3–1 Arsenal highlights and reaction as Sergio Aguero hits hat-trick". 3 February 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2019.
- "REPORT: BURNLEY 1–3 ARSENAL". 12 May 2019. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "Η Νυρεμβέργη ανακοίνωσε το δανεισμό του Μαυροπάνου". 13 January 2020. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Arsenal: Konstantinos Mavropanos future murkier than ever". 13 January 2020. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "FC Nürnberg provide injury update on Mavropanos". 25 February 2020.
- "Ο Μαυροπάνος ανανέωσε με Άρσεναλ και… παίζει Bundesliga!". NewsIT. 16 July 2020.
- "Dinos signs new contract, joins Stuttgart on loan". 16 July 2020.
- "Patrik Schick on target but Bayer Leverkusen held by VfB Stuttgart". bundesliga.com - the official Bundesliga website. Retrieved 3 March 2021.
- "Konstatinos Mavropanos set for long spell on the sidelines". 15 October 2020.
- "K. Mavropanos". Soccerway. Perform Group. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Konstantinos Mavropanos.|