|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Genre||Electronic music, dance music|
|Founded||Hamburg, Germany 1995|
Do It Yourself Entertainment
Kontor New Media
Founded in 1996, the label originated as a club night that Jens Thele organised in Hamburg's central business district. Kontor was rapidly established as a successful musical project for local DJs and producers, and this was followed by interest from international artists. Thele has explained: "We place great importance on long-term artist relationships and development, always looking to create album projects". In 2000 the 51% of the company was acquired by the German larger company Edel AG, with Thele and other subscribers retaining operative roles in the company. As of 2004, the company's office overlooks the Hamburg dockland area.
The label launched the Kontor.TV YouTube channel in 2006 and music videos, playlists and preview-mixes of new releases are uploaded onto the channel. As of October 2013, nearly 2 million users are subscribed to Kontor.TV. In early 2013, the label entered into a partnership with the Spotify online music streaming service and Kontor.FM was launched in March 2013.
In June 2013, Kontor garnered attention for a novel promotional campaign for the new song from artist Boris Dlugosch. The recipient of the music unfolds a device entitled "The Office Turntable" that serves as a 2D Technics turntable on which Dlugosch's vinyl single can be heard. The vinyl is neon orange-colored and most types of smartphones are used to scan an activating QR code on the fold-out device. Label staff explained to the Contagious Magazine's YouTube channel that they were motivated by creative directors who often ignore the music promotions they are sent.
Kontor's compilation brands include "Kontor Top Of The Clubs" and "Kontor House of House".
Affiliate and partner labels
The Sheffield Tunes imprint is a Kontor affiliate label that released the music of Scooter. Scooter's members, H. P. Baxxter and Rick J. Jordan, are company directors of Kontor Records. As of October 2013, Kontor Records is one of the numerous partners listed on the CR2 Records website, a London, United Kingdom (UK) electronic music label founded by musician Mark Brown (also known by the moniker "MYNC").
|This section does not cite any sources. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- DJ Antoine
- Code Red
- Blank & Jones
- DJ Dean
- Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
- The Disco Boys
- Fedde Le Grand
- Alexander Marcus
- DJ Sammy
- Giulia Siegel
- Special D.
- Sunset Strippers
- Alexandra Stan
- Lexy & K-Paul
- Martin Tungevaag
- Jan Wayne
- Rania Zeriri
- "Biography". Scooter. Scooter. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Crisi di liquidità? Edel smentisce" (in Italian). Rockol.it. 14 July 2000. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "About (English)". Kontor Records. Kontor Records GmbH. 2013. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "KontorTV". Kontor.TV on YouTube. Google, Inc. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "KONTOR RECORDS (GERMANY)". CR2 Records. CR2 Records. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- Mark Settle (19 June 2013). "The Office Turntable — the best promo mailer ever". DJWorx. DJWorx. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- ContagiousMagazine (16 May 2013). "Kontor Records Back to vinyl-The Office Turntable_film" (Video upload). YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "About". Kontor Records on Facebook. Facebook. October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.