|Stable release||1.7.2 (October 13, 2015[±])|
|Written in||C++ (Qt)|
|Operating system||Unix-like, Windows (The Windows version may not be the final version suitable for everyday use.)|
|Type||Instant messaging client|
|License||GNU General Public License|
Kopete (ko-PEH-tEH) is a multi-protocol, free software instant messaging client released as part of the KDE Software Compilation. Although it can run in numerous environments, it was designed for and integrates with the KDE Plasma Workspaces. Kopete was started because ICQ blocked Licq from their network in 2001. According to the original author, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett, the name comes from the Chilean Spanish word copete, meaning "a drink with your friends". Kopete has been nominated for multiple awards. The designated successor is KDE Telepathy from the KDE RTCC Initiative.
Kopete allows users to connect to the following protocols:
- Lotus Sametime[note 1]
- Windows Messenger service
MSNP (Microsoft Messenger service, commonly known as MSN, .NET, or Live)(protocol discontinued by microsoft)
- Novell GroupWise
- OSCAR (including AIM and ICQ)
- Skype[note 2]
- Xfire[note 3]
- XMPP/Jingle (including Facebook Messenger and Google Talk)
- YMSG (including Yahoo! Messenger)
- Grouping messages within a window, with tabs for easy switching of conversations
- Ability to use multiple accounts on multiple services
- Alias nicknames for contacts
- Contact grouping
- Custom notifications for contacts
- KAddressBook and KMail integration
- Conversation logging
- Custom emoticons
- Custom notifications, including popups and sounds
- QQ and Yahoo! messenger webcam support
- On the fly spell checking
- Voice call via GoogleTalk and Skype
By default, Kopete supports the following plugins (not all of which are currently functional):
- Auto Replace
- Connection Status
- Contact Notes
- Motion Auto-Away
- Now Listening
- Text Effect
- Translator (no longer functional since the closure of both the Google Translate API and BabelFish)
- Web Presence
With third-party plugins, Kopete supports:
- Off-the-Record Messaging enabling for encrypted conversations with deniable authentication and perfect forward secrecy.
- Antispam by asking a simple question to unknown contacts.
- OpenPGP cryptography is available from the Debian package kopete-cryptography.
- Comparison of instant messaging clients
- Comparison of instant messaging protocols
- Comparison of IRC clients
- "KDE Update Announcement". Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Download". kopete.kde.org. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "KDE Windows Initiative". kde.org. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Min, Andrew. "Kopete: the KDE instant messenger". Free Software Magazine 20. pp. 45–51. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- "Chapter 8. Frequently Asked Questions". Docs.kde.org. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Kopete Development team". Kopete.kde.org. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "2005 Linux Journal Readers' Choice Awards". Linux Journal. September 28, 2005. Retrieved Oct 1, 2009. (2nd place, Favorite Instant Messaging Client)
- "OfB Open Choice Awards 2002". Open for Business. July 25, 2005. Retrieved Oct 1, 2009. (Best Communications Software, Runner Up)
- "Kopete: List of supported protocols". Userbase.kde.org. 2012-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Kopete OTR Plugin". Kde-apps.org. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Kopete Antispam Plugin". Kopeteantispam.sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2013-06-12.