Rabbi Dr Yaacov Kopul Rosen (1913–1962) was an important anglo-Jewish rabbi and educationalist. In 1946 he testified before the Anglo-American Commission of Inquiry on Palestine, asking them not to "play politics with the remnants of the Jewish people." A book titled Memories of Kopul Rosen was published in 1970.
Rabbi Dr Yaacov Kopul Rosen was born on 4 November 1913, in Notting Hill, London. He trained for the rabbinate in the Etz Chaim Yeshiva in London and in the Mir Yeshiva in Lithuania. He was the rabbi of the Higher Crumpsall Synagogue in Manchester from 1938 until 1942. He became the Communal Rabbi of Glasgow in 1942 and in 1944 he was appointed the Principal Rabbi of the Federation of Synagogues in London.
Rosen died of leukemia in March 1962 at the age of 48, leaving behind his wife, Bella, three sons, Jeremy (b . 1942), Michael (1945–2008) and David (b. 1951), and a baby daughter, Angela (Ayelet) (b. 1959). All three sons became rabbis.
In 1948 Rosen decided to leave the rabbinate to devote himself to the promotion of Jewish education. He and his wife, Bella, founded Carmel College an independent Jewish boarding school in Oxfordshire, UK. The school, which practiced Orthodox Judaism, was described in a 1973-published book, Carmel College in the Kopel Era: A History of Carmel College, September 1948-March.
In 1979 Rabbi Rosen's second son, Rabbi Dr Michael (Mickey) Rosen, founded the Jewish educational organization, Yakar, in memory of his father. (YaKaR is both an acronym for Yaacov Kopul Rosen and means in Hebrew precious.) The stated goal of Yakar is to continue Kopul Rosen's ideals "of a Judaism based on knowledge of Torah, learning and vibrant spirituality that would at the same time be universal, non-denominational, tolerant and open to ideas and intellectual curiosity."
Works by Kopul Rosen
- Dear David
- Rabbi Israel Salanter and the Musar movement
- The future of the Federation of Synagogues
- An open letter to a perplexed parent
- "Rev. Dr. Kopul Rosen". The New York Times. March 16, 1962.
- "6 WITNESSES PLEAD TO FREE PALESTINE: Rabbi Calls on Anglo-U.S. Body to Shun Politics--Jews Are Invited by Dominicans". The New York Times. January 29, 1946.
- Cyril Domb (1970). Memories of Kopul Rosen. Carmel College. ISBN 978-0-9501-3720-9.
- Jeremy Rosen (February 23, 2012). "Kopul Rosen 1913-1962".
- 2010: Rabbi Dr. Jeremy Rosen (2010). Kopul Rosen. ISBN 978-0-5577-5327-7.
- 2012: Rabbi Dr. Jeremy Rosen (2012). Kopul Rosen. ISBN 978-1-4775-6986-3.
- Chaim Simons (1973). Carmel College in the Kopel Era: A History of Carmel College, September 1948-March 1962. Urim Publications. ISBN 978-965-524-236-2.
- "A precious light dims with Yakar founder Mickey Rosen's passing". Haaretz.
- Matthew Wagner (9 December 2008). "Yakar founder Mickey Rosen dies". Jerusalem Post JPost.com.
- Rabbi Dr. Yaacov Kopul Rosen (1979). Dear David. ISBN 978-0-9069-7700-2.
- Rabbi Dr. Yaacov Kopul Rosen (1945). Rabbi Israel Salanter and the Musar movement. Narod Press. ISBN 978-1-1578-6277-2.
- Rabbi Dr. Yaacov Kopul Rosen (1946). The future of the Federation of Synagogues.
- Rabbi Dr. Yaacov Kopul Rosen (1954). An open letter to a perplexed parent. OCLC 8678746.