Korea Animal Rights Advocates
Korea Animal Rights Advocates (KARA) is a non-profit organization that supports animal welfare in Korea and deals with animal cruelty cases such as dog meat consumption. It is also responsible for the care of abandoned animals and their adoption.
The organization was founded in 2002 under the name of Arumppom by a group of reformers. In 2006, it was officially registered as a non-profit organization and renamed KARA. The KARA was registered as an incorporated association to the Korean Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry in 2010. The current KARA Executive Director is the Korean movie director Yim Soon-rye. KARA’s honorary board includes many leaders of all levels of society. One of them is Sumi Jo, the opera singer.
Programs and Campaigns
Animal Welfare Education Center
In 2014, KARA established Animal Welfare Education Center. The purpose of the Center is to improve animal welfare issues through many educational programs. There is also the head office of the society which receives all calls and manages all the activities and tasks.
Animal Rights Campaigns
KARA campaigns for animal welfare issues in Korea such as animal testing, animal shows, dog meat consumption and real fur coats. Through legislative campaigns, it also works for stricter enforcement and revision of the Animal Protection Act. In order to raise the public awareness of animal protection, the society conducts various activities in which artists are engaged such as photo exhibition.
TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) is one of KARA’s main projects in order to control feral cat population growth and eventually to improve the life of feral cats. Cats are humanely trapped and taken to be neutered, and returned to their home after recovery.
Abandoned Pet Support & Adoption Projects
KARA’s adoption center is change of the work to rescue, protect and care abandoned pets until their adoption.
The KARA Volunteer Project supports private no-kill shelters in Korea which are run by individuals without the governmental fund. They visit the shelters under poor conditions monthly and provide them with foods, neutralization surgery, kennel repairing, and medical care.
- Kay Peggs (2012). Animals and Sociology. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 139. ISBN 9780230377271.
- "A Brief History of KARA". KARA. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- [손동우가 만난 사람]동물보호시민단체 ‘카라’ 대표 맡은 영화감독 임순례. The Kyunghyang Shinmun (in Korean). 2011-05-23. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Kang Hyun-kyung. "Cosmetics makers going cruelty-free". Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "HSI's Be Cruelty-Free Campaign Makes Progress in Korea". Humane Society International. February 1, 2013. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- Darren Southcott (2013-06-03). ""They looked like zombies," says campaigner". Jeju Weekly. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- "Korea to Turn Dog-slaughtered Sites into a Public Park". Korea Bizwire. July 17, 2014. Retrieved 2014-07-28.
- Kim Se-jeong (2014-03-06). "Pet shops dupe customers". Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-08-06.