Korea Development Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Address||Korea Development Institute, 15 (Bangok-dong, Korea Development Institute), Giljae-gil, Sejong-si 339-007, Korea, Sejong City, South Korea|
|Affiliations||Prime Minister's Office |
|Korea Development Institute|
|Hangul||한국개발연구원 / 케이디아이|
|Hanja||韓國開發硏究院 / 케이디아이|
|Revised Romanization||Hanguk Gae Bal Yeunguwon / Kridiai|
|McCune–Reischauer||Han’guk kaebal yŏn’guwŏn / K‘eidiai|
Early in its development, Korea lacked home-grown research and policy expertise needed to support the country's economic development. To address this, Korea Development Institute (KDI) was established in 1971 to conduct policy research and analysis on fundamental economic and social issues using scientific methods to support the nation's development efforts. It was the first of its kind in the republic's young history.
With financial assistance from the United States and the dedication of twelve aspiring Korean researchers, the institute made invaluable contributions in supporting Korea's early economic and social development by providing high quality and objective policy research and analysis.
For the past forty years, KDI has conducted research on a broad range of economic and social issues, from macroeconomics policy, fiscal policy, finance, welfare, labor, trade, competition policy, to the North Korean economy. To cope with the new challenges of a rapidly changing economy, the institute's role and responsibilities have expanded over the years, with the addition of the Economic Information and Education Center, the KDI School of Public Policy and Management, and the Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center. The institute has also led Korea's efforts to take a greater role in the international development community, expanding its research and knowledge sharing activities and global footprint through the Center for International Development.
- Research Projects, Research-related Projects, Research-supporting Projects
- Economic Education and Information Projects: Public-Private Partnership Projects, Public Investment Evaluation Projects, Specialized Projects Related to the Market Economy and Global Economy, Cooperation for International Development, Publication of the "60-year History of the Korean Economy" - Memoirs of veterans, G20-related Study, Project to Strengthen Capability for Real Estate Policy Study, OECD Korea Policy Center, Study for Korea's Economic Strategy in Response to Chancing Global Economic Conditions, Service Economy Study, High-school Economics Textbook Verification-related Study.
It is located near the Sejong National Research Complex, Korea Institute of Public Finance, Korea Legislation Research Institute, and Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements.
- Department of Macroeconomic Policy
- Department of Financial Policy
- Department of Competition Policy
- Department of Human Resource Development Policy
- Department of Industry and Service Economy
- Department of Land and Infrastructure Policy
- Department of Public Finance and Social Policy
- Department of North Korean Economy
- Global Economy Research TF
- Public Pension TF
- Economic Information and Education Center (EIEC)
- Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center (PIMAC)
- Center for International Development (CID)
- Center for Regulatory Studies
- KDI School of Public Policy and Management
- Center for Education and Training
- 1970. 12. 31 Promulgation of Act establishing KDI (Law No.2247)
- 1971. 03. 11 Establishment of KDI
- 1982. Installation and operation of the International Development Exchange Program (IDEP)
- 1982. 05. 06 Opening of the Korea Economic Institute (KEI) Washington D.C. Office in US
- 1990. 11. 15 Launching of the North Korean Economic Research Center
- 1991. 12. 27 Establishment of the Center for Economic Information
- 1994. 03. 09 Launching of the Center for Legal and Economic Research
- 1995. 12. 05 Act on KDI amended establishing KDI Graduate School (No.5047)
- 1997. 12. 05 Opening of the KDI School of International Studies
- 1998. 09. 18 'Center for Economic Education,'changed to 'Center for Economic Information and Education,' and moved to KDI
- 1999. 11. 06 'KDI School of International Studies' changed to 'KDI School of Public Policy & Management'
- 2000. 01. 06 Establishment of the Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center (PIMAC)
- 2005. 01. 27 Integration of Private Infrastructure Investment Center of Korea (PICKO) with KDI to launch the Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center (PIMAC)
- 2009. 09. 11 Establishment of Center for International Development (CID)
- 2013. 12. 30 Relocation to Sejong completed
- 2014. 06. 01 Establishment of the Center for Regulatory Studies
- 2014. 12. 22 KDI School of Public Policy and Management's relocation to Sejong completed
Major Research Activities
- 1970s: "First Research Report: Opinion of the Corporate Liquidation", "Basic Plan for the Establishment of the 4th Five-Year Economic Development Plan", "A Study of Revised Agendas for the 5th Five-Year Economic Development Plan", "A Study of Relevant Agendas for the 6th Five-Year Economic and Social Development Plan", "The Economic and Social Modernization of the Republic of Korea", "Growth and Structural Transformation", "The Developmental Role of the Foreign Sector and Aid", "Public Finances During the Korean Modernization Process", "Financial Development in Korea", "Government, Business, and Entrepreneurship in Economic Development: The Korean Case", "Education and Development in Korea", "Economic Development, Population Policy, and Demographic Transition in the Republic of Korea", "Urbanization and Urban Problems", "Rural Development", "The Korean Economic 'Miracle' Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow", "Sources of Economic Growth in Korea", "Long-term Economic and Social Development, 1977-91", "Policy Documents on Economic Stabilization Measures (I)", "Policy Documents on Economic Stabilization Measures (II)", "Measure for Overcoming Economic Crisis", "Market Structure and Regulation of Monopolies and Oligopolies"
- 1980s: "Improving the Management System of Government-invested Enterprises", "State of Tariff Policy and Ideas for Improvement", "Basic Issues in Industrial Policy and Ideas for Revising Support Measures", "National Pension Scheme: Basic Framework and Socioeconomic Impact"
- 1990s: "Basic Vision for Developing Inter-Korean Economic Relations", "Implementation of the Real-Name Financial Transaction System", "Assessing the Impact of Instituting the Real-Name Financial Transaction System", "Major Points for Consideration in the Adoption of a Real-Name Financial Transaction System", "50 Years of Korean Economic Development: Assessment and Prospects for the 21st Century", "Comprehensive Measures to Overcome Economic Crisis and Promote Structural Reform"
- 2000s: "Vision 2011: Open Society, Flexible Economy", "A Study on Improving the Management of Government-Controlled Institution", "Introducing the Medium-term Expenditure Framework", "Population Aging in Korea: Policy Issues and Reform Agenda (I)", "Population Aging in Korea: Policy Issues and Reform Agenda (II)", "Socio-Economic Impacts of Population Aging and Policy Issues (I)", "Socio-Economic Impacts of Population Aging and Policy Issues (II)", "The Comprehensive Study Toward Developing a Post-Retirement Income Security System (I)", "The Comprehensive Study Toward Developing a Post-Retirement Income Security System (II)", "Policy Task to Improve Service Industry Productivity", "Service Industry Targeting and Development of Performance Indicators", "Policy Agenda for Improving the Service Sector"
- 2010s: "Restructuring the Korean Economy in the Post-crisis Era: Modernization of the Service Industry", 'Economic Growth in Low Income Countries: How the G20 Can Help to Raise and Sustain it", "G20 The Seoul Summit", "Toward the Consolidation of the G20", "Global Leadership in Transition", "Post Crisis Growth and Development", "In Search of New Paradigm in Housing Policy after the Global Financial Crisis(Volume I and II)", "Structural Changes and New Policy Directions(Volume I and II), "Paradigm Shift for the Virtuous Cycle of Growth and Employment(Volume I and II)"
- 1st Kim, Mahn Je (1971.03.11∼1982.01.19)
- 2nd Kim, Ki-Hwan (1982.01.19~1983.10.15)
- 3rd Ahn, Seung-Chul (1983.11.07~1986.10.17)
- 4th Park, Yung-Chul (1986.10.17~1987.05.29)
- 5th Koo, Bon-Ho (1987.06.03~1992.03.10)
- 6th Song, Hee-Yhon (1992.03.11~1993.05.17)
- 7th Whang, In Joung (1993.05.18~1995.03.10)
- 8th Cha, Dong Se (1995.03.11~1998.03.10)
- 9th Lee, Jin Soon (1998.03.11~2001.03.10)
- 10th Kang, Bong Kyun (2001.03.11~2002.06.10)
- 11th Kim, Choong Soo (2002.08.06~2005.08.07)
- 12th Hyun, Jung Taik (2005.11.24~2009.03.20)
- 13th-14th Hyun, Oh-Seok (2009.03.24~2013.03.22)
- 15th Kim, Joon-Kyung (2013.05.13~Present)
- KDI Official website
- PIMAC(Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center)
- CID(Center for International Development)
- KDI School of Public Policy and Management
- KDI Official facebook
- KDI Official YouTube
- K-Developedia (Korea Development Archive)