Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power
|Founder||Korea Electric Power Corporation|
|Headquarters||Gyeongju, North Gyeongsang, South Korea|
|Cho Seok (7th CEO)|
|Total assets||₩48 trillion|
|Total equity||₩22 trillion|
Number of employees
|Parent||Korea Electric Power Corporation|
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (Korean: 한국수력원자력, KHNP) is a subsidiary of the Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO). It operates large nuclear and hydroelectric plants in South Korea, which are responsible for about 40% of the country's electric power supply. It was formally established in 2001 as part of a general restructuring at KEPCO, although KEPCO had opened its first nuclear plant at Kori in Busan in 1977. The first commercial operation of Kori nuclear #1 was held 1978.
The company also operates internationally, with offices in New York, Atlanta, Paris and Tokyo. The current CEO is Cho Seok (Korean: 조석). As of 2014[update], it had about 9,500 employees and sales revenue of ₩7.3 trillion (approximately US$6 billion). The current international credit ratings are Aa3 stable/A+ stable/AA- stable(Moody's/S&P/Fitch), which are one of the top in global utility industry.
In October 2013 a former chief executive of KHNP, David Suh, amongst about 100 people, was indicted for falsifying nuclear component safety documents.
On December 23, 2014, the company said that its computer systems had been hacked. There was speculation that the hack was connected with the November 24, 2014 Sony Pictures Entertainment hack and the subsequent December 22, 2014 event whereby North Korea experienced severe internet outages.
- Nuclear sites:
- Hydroelectric sites:
- Hwacheon Dam, Gandong-myeon, Hwacheon County, Gangwon-do
- Paldang site, Joan-myeon, Namyangju, Gyeonggi-do
- Cheongpyong site, Oeseo-myeon, Gapyeong County, Gyeonggi-do
- Uiam Dam, Sindong-myeon, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
- Chuncheon site, Sinbuk-eup, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
- Boseonggang site, Deungnyang-myeon, Boseong County, Jeollanam-do
- Seomjingang site, Chilbo-myeon, Jeongeup, Jeollabuk-do
- Goesan site, Chilseong-myeon, Goesan County, Chungcheongbuk-do
- Gangneung site, Seongsan-myeon, Gangneung, Gangwon-do
- Economy of South Korea and Energy in South Korea
- Environment of South Korea
- Lists of public utilities
- List of Korea-related topics
- Gyeongju Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power FC
- Nuclear power in South Korea
- "History". KHNP English-language site. Archived from the original on 2014-11-29. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "History of Executives". KHNP English-language site. Archived from the original on 2014-03-01. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Organization & Personnel". KHNP English-language site. Archived from the original on 2014-10-20. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Financial Statements". KHNP English-language site. Archived from the original on 2014-10-20. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Global Credit Ratings". KHNP English-language site. Archived from the original on 2014-11-29. Retrieved November 19, 2014.
- "Indictments for South Korea forgery scandal". World Nuclear News. 10 October 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/south-korea-nuclear-plant-hacked-says-operator-20141222-12chrb.html Sydney Morning Herald
- http://bigstory.ap.org/article/34ad411e0c9945a6a1d608ef54e988cf/north-korea-experiencing-severe-internet-outages AP
- "KHNP is: Overview". KHNP English-language site. Retrieved November 19, 2014.