Koreans in Sri Lanka
|Regions with significant populations|
|Colombo, Negombo, Gampaha, Kandy, Nuwara Eliya|
|Related ethnic groups|
The number of Koreans in Sri Lanka was recorded at 854 in 2009, 948 in 2011, and 782 in 2013. Among them were 268 international students studying at Sri Lankan universities, and 514 with other types of visas. The vast majority (513) lived at Colombo, with another 96 in Western Province (namely Negombo and Gampaha), 124 in Central Province (Kandy and Nuwara Eliya), and 49 in other areas.
South Korean Christian missionaries are active in Sri Lanka. They have conducted charitable activities, such as constructing disaster assistance centres. However, their activities to promote religious conversion have also caused conflict with the predominantly Buddhist and Hindu local people.
There is a Korean Association of Sri Lanka, as well as a weekend school for Korean language. The former has organised various public events to inform the public about Korean culture and history, such as a special lecture commemorating the start of the Korean War.
- 《재외동포 본문(지역별 상세)》, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2011-07-15, p. 172, retrieved 2012-02-25
- "남아시아태평양", 《재외동포현황》, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2013-09-30, p. 84, retrieved 2015-04-30
- 《재외동포현황》 [Current Status of Overseas Compatriots], South Korea: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 2009, retrieved 2009-05-21
- 김명철 [Kim Myeong-cheol] (2006-05-03), "스리랑카한인선교사회, 재난구호센터 지원 요청 [Korean missionary community in Sri Lanka invited to establish disaster assistance centre]", News Cheonji, retrieved 2010-10-31
- 정충신 [Jeong Chung-sin] (2004-01-14), "'불교국' 스리랑카서 한인선교사 잇단 수난 [Passion of Korean missionaries in "Buddhist country" Sri Lanka]", Munhwa Ilbo, retrieved 2010-10-31
- 이지희 [Yi Ji-hui] (2004-01-12), "스리랑카 한인 선교사 『수난』[The "Passion" of Korean missionaries in Sri Lanka]", Christianity Today, archived from the original on 2010-10-26, retrieved 2010-10-31
- "스리랑카한인회, 한인학교 교사들과 오찬 [Korean school teachers hold luncheon with Korean community in Sri Lanka]", Dongpo News, 2009-06-08, retrieved 2010-10-31
- 오재범 [O Jae-beom] (2010-07-01), "스리랑카 한인동포 6.25 특별강연 개최 [Koreans in Sri Lanka hold special lecture about outbreak of the Korean War]", Dongpo News, retrieved 2010-10-31
- 이현아 [Yi Hyun-a] (2010-07-19), "'왕건함' 입항에 스리랑카 한인사회 '들썩' [Wanggeonham in port, Korean community in Sri Lanka "stirred up"]", Dongpo News, retrieved 2010-10-31
- 배형직 [Bae Hyeong-jik] (2005-02-09), "스리랑카의 한인들 [The Koreans of Sri Lanka]", Korea Times, retrieved 2010-10-31