Korina Sanchez in Bandila
Korina María Baluyut Sánchez
October 5, 1958
|Other names||Korina, Koring, K|
Mar Roxas (m. 2009)
Korina María B. Sanchez-Roxas (born October 5, 1958), known professionally as Korina Sanchez, is a Filipino broadcast journalist, television news anchor, senior field correspondent, magazine show host, radio anchor and newspaper columnist. She is currently Chief Correspondent for the Integrated News and Current Affairs Division of ABS-CBN ABS-CBN Corporation airing on TV Channel 2, AM Radio DZMM and cable TV ABS-CBN News Channel. She also has a regular column in The Philippine Star entitled That Does It, as well as a Tagalog column entitled K Ka Lang in its sister newspaper, Pilipino Star Ngayon. She is the wife of Mar Roxas, the former Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government.
In 2013, Sanchez drew flak among netizens due to her remarks on her now-defunct DZMM radio show Rated Korina on Anderson Cooper's reporting for Tacloban. She claimed that the journalist did not know what he was talking about. CNN news anchor Anderson Cooper was one of the first international correspondents on the ground in Tacloban to report on the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Cooper responded to Sanchez by urging her to visit the area and insisted that his coverage was accurate.
On Wednesday, 3 December 2014 newscast of ABS-CBN's TV Patrol, Sanchez said she hoped Typhoon Ruby (international name for Typhoon Hagupit) would hit Japan instead of the Philippines: "Can’t they just get all of it?"
Six weeks after this incident, Sanchez was removed from her radio show.
Presidential campaign 2016
To gain support from the LGBT community for the 2016 presidential elections, Sánchez organized #KERIBEKS: The First National Gay Congress of The Philippines, which was a star studded concert held at the Araneta Coliseum (owned by the family of Mar Roxas) which featured job fairs but did not deal with LGBT issues nor did Mar Roxas vocalize support for the LGBT.
Awards, honors and recognition
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
30th PMPC Star Awards for Television
- Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) Awards
Outstanding Radio Anchor – Korina Sanchez
Asian TV Awards
- Best Current Affairs Presenter Category: Highly Commended, Korina Sanchez, Rated K (Episode: "Kwento ng Buhay Ko")
Media Newser Philippines’ Media Winner of 2012
- Ka Doroy Broadcaster of the Year Award, Korina Sanchez
- Best Magazine Host for TV, Korina Sanchez
- Best Public Affairs Program Host for Radio, Korina Sanchez
- Best Public Affairs Program, 'Tambalang Failon at Sanchez', DZMM
- Best Magazine Show, Rated K
- "TOP LIST: Stars turning 50 in 2014". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Diola, Camille (6 January 2014). "Korina temporarily leaves radio show". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Rosal, Malou E (29 September 2007). "Icon with a K". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Manahan, Millie (28 June 2016). "LOOK: Korina Sanchez Finishes Her Master's Degree in Divination (IMAGES)". WheninManila.com. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Korina, proud na proud na naka-graduate". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 3 July 2016.
- De Jesus, Julliane Love (15 November 2013). "Anderson Cooper to Korina Sanchez: Go to Tacloban". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Anderson to Korina: Come to Tacloban, see for yourself". The Philippine Star. 16 November 2013. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Macaraig, Ayee (13 November 2013). "Cooper responds to Korina, PNoy; praises Filipino strength". Rappler. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Umbao, Ed (13 November 2013). "Korina Sanchez Reacted on Anderson Cooper's CNN Report". Manila: Philnews.ph. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Romero, Alexis (15 November 2013). "CNN's Anderson Cooper tells Korina: Go to Tacloban". Philstar.com. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Cabacungan, Gil (16 November 2013). "Anderson Cooper-Korina Sanchez tiff goes viral on the Internet". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Gutierrez, Natashya (7 December 2013). "Korina angers netizens over Typhoon Ruby comments". Rappler. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Umbao, Ed (4 January 2014). "Korina Sanchez Resigned & Vacates Her Radio Show on DZMM". Manila: Philnews.ph. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Mar-Korina wedding 'locked and loaded'". ABS-CBNNews.com. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Sison, Shakira (6 August 2015). "#KeriBeks: Where gays are the latest political pawns". Rappler. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- Rappler. Missing or empty
- "LIST: Winners, PMPC Star Awards 2016 – music". Rappler. Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- "ABS-CBN, DZMM are VACC's Best TV/Radio Stations". The Philippine Star. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Pinoy nominees in 2013 Asian Television Awards". Rappler.com. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Lu, Monet (25 January 2013). "Yong Chavez: A woman of passion and dedication". Asian Journal. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- Camposano, Jerni May H. (15 February 2009). "What's next for Korina?". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 24 April 2015.