This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in Danish. (January 2020) Click [show] for important translation instructions.
|Coordinates: 55°20′1″N 11°08′23″E / 55.33361°N 11.13972°ECoordinates: 55°20′1″N 11°08′23″E / 55.33361°N 11.13972°E|
|• Urban||6.68 km2 (2.58 sq mi)|
|• Urban density||2,200/km2 (5,600/sq mi)|
|• Gender ||7,150 males and 7,313 females|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Calling code||(+45) 58|
Korsør is a town on Zealand, Denmark. It is located in Slagelse Municipality. Until 2007 Korsør was the seat of Korsør Municipality. The town is located 15 km (9.3 mi) west of Slagelse, 12 km (7.5 mi) north-west of Skælskør and connects to Nyborg through the Great Belt Bridge.
Formerly the main ferry port from Zealand to Funen, the town of Korsør is divided into two halves by the Korsør Nor inlet, with the northern part named Halsskov. Most of the historical southern part of Korsør (Korsør proper) is low-lying and prone to flooding.
The Korsør Biograf Teater, which opened in August 1908movie theater in continuous use that is still operating., is the world's oldest
Korsør Mini Town (Danish: Korsør Miniby) is a miniature model of the town of Korsør as it looked in 1875. It is built in 1:10 scale and has existed since 2001.
Tårnborg is a manor located in Halsskov in Korsør. Tårnborg was originally a village, in which a castle was built in the 1100s. It was referred to as Korsør Castle and later came under the name of Dyrehovedgaard. It was renamed to Tårnborg in 1846. The manor owns 334 acres.
Korsør Fortification (Danish: Korsør Fæstning) is a set of fortifications located centrally in Korsør. It was built in the 1100s. Today there are five buildings on the fortifications, though all are built at different times and only the tower originates from the castle that was located on the fortification. The tower is from the 1200s.
Korsør City and Strait Crossing Museum (Danish: Korsør By og Overfartsmuseum) is a museum located in Korsør. The museum was founded in 1983, and is focussed on the strait crossing from Korsør to Nyborg. The museum is located in a building on Korsør Fortification.
Public thought and politics
- Pia Adelsteen (born 1963), politician and member of parliament
- Hedevig Johanne Bagger (1740–1822), inn-keeper and postmaster
- Aage Friis (1870–1949), historian
- Hans A. Hansen (1877–1949), sailor for the United States Navy
- Hedda Lundh (1921–2012), resistance fighter during the German occupation of Denmark in World War II
- John Dyrby Paulsen (born 1963), politician and mayor of the municipality
- Morten Storm (born 1976), former PET agent
- Lis Tribler (born 1952), politician and former mayor
- Jens Baggesen (1764–1826), poet.
- Urban Gad (1879–1947), film director
- Aage Giødesen (1863–1939), painter
- Pia Juul (born 1962), poet and translator
- Casper Henningsen (born 1985), former football player
- Jim Larsen (born 1985), former football player
- Brian Nielsen (born 1965), former boxer
- Slagelse municipality website (In Danish)
- ^ BY3: Population 1. January by urban areas, area and population density The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- ^ BY1: Population 1. January by urban areas, age and sex The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- ^ World oldest cinema is located in Korsoer
- ^ Korsørminiby.dk "Korsør Miniby" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- ^ Danskeherregaarde.dk "Taarnborg" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- ^ Minkultur.slagelse.dk "Korsør Fæstning" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- ^ Byogoverfartsmuseet.dk "Historie" Retrieved 23 August 2020
- ^ Gosse, Edmund William (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 3 (11th ed.). p. 200.